Mercedes

Have Mercedes questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

2002 c240 has been in storage; battery dead; interior

2002 c240 has been...

2002 c240 has been in storage; battery dead; interior plastic hood release latch is broken.

Mechanic's Assistant: Did you test the battery with a voltmeter? And have you ever changed one before?

Can't get to the battery.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your C240 yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes. Tried to pop the hood but interior latch handle is broken. It does not engage the cable.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Not at this time. If I can get the hood open, I can charge the battery.

1/16/2018
Mechanic01
Mechanic01, ASE Certified Technician

Hello my name is ***** ***** welcome to just answers! I will be assisting you with all of your vehicle questions today. Give me one moment while I review your question and come back with a answer. Please be aware I do not know your skill level or abilities so I will be asking a lot of questions and in a lot of cases we will respond to each other quite a lot before we find a solution. As far as phone calls are concerned that is the system prompting you, not me, and they do cost more money, I prefer text but in some cases a phone call is required. If I don’t answer right away or quickly in conversation I am helping another customer or have stepped out for a moment and will respond as soon as I can. Ok lets get started!

You will need to disassemble the latch and pull the cable with a pair of pliers to get the hood open

Shawn. Thank you. That had crossed my mind. Will give it a go.

sure thing!

Please let me know if you have any additional questions or if you want to discuss this further. And please take a moment and kindly click a positive rating (preferably 5 Star/Excellent) to credit for the time & effort put by me in answering your automotive question, and this is the only way I will be credited for my service to you. Rating me now does not close your question and if you have follow-up or additional questions you can ask them after the rating too! Also if you would like further assistance in the future you can favorite me as well.
Assuring you the best services!
Kind Regards!
Shawn ASE Technician

Pulling the cable released the initial hood latch, but I can't get the hood to open. Pulling on the under hood latch doesn't fully release it.

you may have to have someone pull up and down on the hood while you pull the cable to pop it,

I can't raise the hood more than an inch or so. It appears the under hood latch is not working.

that the secondary latch, you will have to pull another one under the hood to open that

Where is the other latch located?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gIxFJK0mOBw

Shawn - thanks. I had seen that. If the C20 has a similar latch, there is no way iI've tried to pull out what would be considered the secondary latch on and American of Japanese car and it only bends up and to the side. Since the hood only opens about an inch, there does not appear any way for the latch to pullout through the grille as in the video.. The hood would have to be raised several inches. Since it's started snowing, I think I'll just chew out my daughter for dumping her problems on me, have a drink, and think about some more after I shovel snow tomorrow. Thank you for your advise,

lol I like your response, well enjoy the warmth of the house and the drink, if your having issues tomorrow send me a picture of the front end and ill circle where to open it

What's your email address or cell #?

I have conduct all business on here but you can respond tomorrow on this same question at no extra charge and when its all done just favorite me for future use

Mechanic01
Mechanic01, ASE Certified Technician
Shawn - I found the secondary latch release and opened the hood. Thank you for your assistance.