Mercedes

Have Mercedes questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I have an 85 Mercedes 380 with No electrics. 380 SE. I am, I…

Hello I have an...

Hello I have an 85 Mercedes 380 with No electrics

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model of your '85 Mercedes?

380 SE

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes I am, I am about to remove the battery and have it re charged It had a flat battery a few years ago, but then there were always electrics, this time there are none, the guages won't even activate

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you tested the battery with a voltmeter? And can you see if it's leaking or not?

Yes I am about to do that, but that doesnt explain the lack of electrics

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Yes there is alsoa problem with the rear suspension It won't reset properly when it pumps itself up

1/15/2018
Marty
Marty, Mercedes Technician

Hi, my name is***** do you mean by "lack of electrics"?

Hello MartyWhen I say Lack of electrics, I mean there is no 'movement' or activation in the gauges or anything
Ok, usually this is caused by a bad fuse or fuse connection. I would remove and inspect each fuse in the fuse box under the hood. The fuses will often fail at their tips. Cleaning the fuses and replacing any that are bad should fix your gauge problem.
Let me know what you find.
I've already tried that
Is it only the gauges that are not working?
I have removed all the fuses, checked and double checked, also removed and checked all the modules, relays etc
Is it only the gauges that are not working? Does the car start?
The car will not start, it won't even crank over, the gauges do not come to life, no dash lights, nothing,
Ok, have you tried jump starting?
I have, no luck
Does anything have power? Headlights, hazards, windows?
Nothing has any power at all
Ok, the problem has to be right at the battery or with the cable connections. That’s the only way everything in the car can be dead. Get the battery charged or replaced and check the cable connections. Especially check the small wires that connect to the positive cable. Make sure there are no loose or poorly connected wires.
What about The Lambda Unit
It’s got nothing to do with the problem.
If everything is dead the problem is with the battery and cables. It can’t be anything else.
The battery is on the charger right now, but there is obviously a problem that caused the battery to go flat in the first place
Possibly, or the battery just went bad. You need to get voltage back to the car then test the alternator and test for a parasitic drain.
Sometimes a bad battery won’t even take a charge.
OK I also have a problem with the rear suspension
What’s the problem?
The rear suspension pumps itself up until it is rock hard and bounces badly
Have you checked the level control valve at the rear?
What do I do to check that
Check the adjustment. There is a hole in the arm. Disconnect the linkage and insert a drill bit through the hole on the arm and into the corresponding hole on the valve then adjust the link to fit on the arm. The car must be on a level surface.
When I first drive the car the rear suspension goes rock hard, and it starts 'squeeling' I literally have to put the car into neutral, turn the car off, wait for a slight sound in the back and then start the car again after it has reset
You need to check the adjustment or replace the level control valve. The valve controls the height.
OK will do, thank you for your help today, much appreciated.
You’re quite welcome
Marty
Marty, Mercedes Technician
Marty
Marty
Marty, Mercedes Technician