Mercedes

Have Mercedes questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I had to jump start it yesterday because I left the key in…

Customer Question
I had to jump...

I had to jump start it yesterday because I left the key in the ignition for 3 hours and it drained the battery. The jump start worked fine and the car started right up but it won’t fully run. It seems to be stuck in idle mode and when you press the accelerator rpms won’t go over 1000. You can put it in drive and move forward but maxes between 5-10mph.

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the battery, particularly the terminal connections? Are they corroded?

I have not but it is a pretty new battery and the jump start worked great. It starts up no problem now, just won’t go.

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Mercedes?

1998 E320 station wagon AWD

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Station yourself? What have you tried so far?

Trying to get it home from work, had to leave it there yesterday. Rented a code scanner from autozone and cleared the error codes. Also tried something I read online whereby you start it up and carbs the steering wheel back and forth to clear steering angle reset problem (sounds weird but I tried it). That’s all don’t know what else to try

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Don’t know what else to tell

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Mercedes
1/7/2018
Mercedes Mechanic: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 7 months ago
Daniel Wilson

Hi my name is***** will be glad to help if you still need help. Let me know if you got this resolved or still need help. I will be logged in between jobs as time allows. We can follow up as needed.

I need help!! ASAP!! I am trying to get my car home from parking garage at work and am stuck
Mercedes Mechanic: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 7 months ago

Try unhooking the battery terminals from the battery and touch the two together while unhooked to drain any residual voltage in the system. then reconnect the cables and try to start and see if it resets the computer

Mercedes Mechanic: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 7 months ago

If no luck the low voltage sounds like it might have caused a software issue in the PCM ( computer) and either reprogramming or replacement might be needed. I recommend testing all fuses for power on both sides with key on in case you have any blown fuses. Let me know

Tried battery thing, did not work. Any suggestions other than having it towed?
Mercedes Mechanic: Marty, Mercedes Technician replied 7 months ago
Marty
Marty, Mercedes Technician

H​i Mary, different expert here. My name is***** you still need help?

I’m at the point of having my car towed. If you have an alternate suggestion that would be great but it sounds like I’ve reached a dead end here?

Ok, let's try resetting the throttle actuator before you get it towed. Turn the key all the way on but do not start the car. Leave the key on for about 3 minutes then turn it off and start the car and see if it will accelerate.

I​nsert the key and turn it two clicks to the right.

I did that but not for 3 minutes more like 30 seconds

Do it longer and see if it resets.

I already caught a ride home. My car is 40 miles away now

I understand. When the battery dies like it did your electronic throttle actuator will often lose it's settings. Leaving the key on for a few minutes will usually reset the actuator. Sometimes pressing the throttle all the way to the floor a few times when the key is on but the engine is off will reset the actuator. Try the procedure with just leaving the key on first. If you have no success you will need to have the reset done with the Mercedes tester.

Mercedes Mechanic: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 7 months ago

Hi, Im still here I didnt get your responses as another professional jumped in on the conversation and it directed your responses to him. If the computer did not reset, the problem now is going to be software related and the software will need to be reflashed and updated as I mentioned. The dealer has the reprogramming capabilities to reset the system. If the update and reset does not work it will need the module itself replaced.

Please take a moment to rate as that is how the site credits my time helping on the site or let me know if you need more help. 5 starand bonuses are always greatly appreciated.

Mercedes Mechanic: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 6 months ago

Hi Mary, Did you get this resolved? I see this is still open. Please take a moment to rate as that is how the site credits my time helping on the site or let me know if you need more help. 5 star and bonuses are always greatly appreciated. It's been a pleasure working with you on this.