Mercedes

Have Mercedes questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I have a 2011 sprinter van 2500 3.0L Diesel that has thrown…

Customer Question
Hi I have a...

Hi I have a 2011 sprinter van 2500 3.0L Diesel that has thrown a few codes and went into Limp home mode when driving.

Mechanic's Assistant: How old is the engine? And when was it last serviced?

Its a 2011. with 120k miles on it now. It was last services at 112k

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Sprinter yourself? What have you tried so far?

I am looking at solutions online to see if it is something I can do myself preferably.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Yea. When I turn the van off I hear a whining noise in the engine bay by the air intake and fuel filter area on the top of the engine. Today I noticed a bit of smoke as well coming from there.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Mercedes
1/7/2018
Mercedes Mechanic: Lou P. master tech, Mercedes Technician replied 7 months ago
Lou P. master tech
Lou P. master tech, Mercedes Technician

Hello, my name is***** and i will do my best to assist you.I am going over your story now and will reply back soon with some info,thanks!

I can help with this, I will need the following please

• vin
  • build date on driver door sticker
  • fault codes
  • also description of fault codes

most codes i can look up in the system , for some others they can be tricky so knowing the verbiage helps a ton in most cases and also knowing what brand and model scan tool you have as well.

Lou

codes:
-P0171: System Too Lean (Bank 1)
-P0299: Turbo/Supercharger Underboost (This code is on the paper 3 times)
-P0420: Catalyst System Efficiency Below Threshold (Bank 1)
Vin: WD4PE7CC8B5548323I also wanted to note that there is this kit installed on the van http://www.fixmyvw.com/2010-2012-sprinter-economy-package/
This kit was installed 4,000 miles ago after all the exhaust/DPF issues the van was having.Build Date: I do not have that sticker on my drivers door or anywhere else that I could find.
Brand/Model of scanner: Not sure on this. I got a free scan at Autozone. Also wanted to note that on the scan paperwork the vin# ***** ***** from what I have on the vin tag. Paperwork shows vin#:WD3BE7AC*B5******The whining noise lasts only a few seconds. it makes a clicking sound a few times. There is also what looks like some oil spray around the black intercooler intake silencer box Not sure if that's a separate issue or not.Thanks for the assistance.
Ok sorry i wont be able to assist with this i will open it up for someone else to be able to help. My apologies . Lou
Mercedes Mechanic: Matt, Engineer replied 7 months ago
Matt, Engineer

Hello

another expert here

Start by checking all the high pressure hoses post turbo/s for any split hoses or cracked metal pipes, also check the ends of the intercooler as its not unheard of to pop the end caps off under high boost.

If both of these are OK then also check the connections to the EGR valve, if either the vacuum pipe of electrical connection are damaged / corroded then the EGR can be on all time which certainly will hurt performance. Its also possible that its a fault with the EGR valve so its worth removing the valve and cleaning it out with brake cleaner, if it looks particularly clogged then replace it.

If this is OK then check the small vacuum lines to the turbo and its connected control solenoid on the bulkhead, any cracks or leaks can give turbo issues and its best to have the boost pressure measured actually measured with a boost gauge to check that the turbo is healthy and that the sensor is reading correctly

If its a variable vane turbo (they’ll be an actuator on the turbo body - but not a wastegate) then check its vacuum pipework as above and check the connections to the diaphragm / solenoid valve

My goal is to give you the best advice that I can and I hope that I've helped today. Please remember to rate my service by selecting from the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave. If you need more help, use the reply box to let me know.
If you're not pleased, also let me know because rating bad does not result in a refund, there are better options. Rating now will not close this post nor prevent further replies
Thanks Matt