Mercedes

Have Mercedes questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

It's a 2008 Dodge Sprinter 2500. It would intermittently…

Customer Question
It's a 2008 Dodge...

It's a 2008 Dodge Sprinter 2500. It would intermittently make "Rumble Strip" noises while driving. Then after about 30 minutes on the road and a stop at a service station it pulled out 100 yards or so and quit driving. Neither Drive nor Reverse. After it sat for 30 minutes or so it pulled enough to load it on a trailer. The next day it pulled around to the bay where I drained the transmission fluid and changed the filter. I drove it on short trips of less than 10 miles for three days and then today I drove it 10 or 12 miles to town and when I tried to back into a parking spot it quit drivin

Mechanic's Assistant: When was the last time your transmission fluid was checked? Changed?

Three days ago

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Sprinter yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes - I've changed the trans filter and oil

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

The fluid I drained out was "milky" looking

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Mercedes
1/7/2018
Mercedes Mechanic: Marty, Mercedes Technician replied 6 months ago
Marty
Marty, Mercedes Technician

Hi, my name is***** fluid in the transmission is not a good sign. It's possible that the transmission cooler has ruptured and is allowing coolant to enter the transmission fluid. The first thing I would suggest is that you scan the transmission control module for fault codes. Next, I would drop the pan again and check for milky fluid and for debris in the pan. If coolant has mixed with the fluid it will cause the torque converter to chatter. You may be able to flush the transmission with fresh fluid and save the transmission but if coolant is mixing you need to fix that problem first. It's also possible that you will need to replace the transmission electronics plate and electrical connector. If the speed sensors which are mounted on the plate fail it can also cause this problem. The diagnostic scan will give you fault codes for the speed sensors if that is the problem. My biggest concern is the milky fluid that you drained.

Let me know if you have any questions.