Mercedes

Have Mercedes questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I have a 1990 190Mercedes fitted with the 2.5 lotus engine.

Customer Question
Hi, I have a...

Hi, I have a 1990 190Mercedes fitted with the 2.5 lotus engine. It has started to idle strange. After letting the throttle go back to idle. It will flare up usualy about four times to around 2,000rpm and only then settle back to proper idle. Sometimes, though not often it will go to high idle by itself

Mechanic's Assistant: How many miles are on the car? What size is the engine?

165,000 milles. It is a 2.5 16 valve with mechanical fuel injection. I believe the engine was a Lotus ehanced one

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Mercedes?

Its a 1990 190E

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your 190E yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes. Nothing really checked linkages, a few vacume lines. Nothing seems to change things

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Thats it i think. Thanks

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Mercedes
Answered in 3 days by:
1/10/2018
Mercedes Mechanic: Pete, Mercedes Mechanic replied 6 months ago
Pete, Mercedes Mechanic

My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question had not received a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

This sounds like a possible engine vacuum leak causing this fault here.If you have not checked visually for any vacuum leaks this needs to be done first.If any leaks are found they will need to be repaired.If this is or was checked already and no visible leaks are found you may have to have the intake smoke tested to locate any hard to see leaks like the intake gaskets leaking needing to be replaced.If this was all already checked and found o.k. let me know here so we can continue.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service, your 5-star rating is appreciated ( should be a link to click on here or above).You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.I work on delivering the best answer and help here but in some cases, it can be difficult to do without seeing the vehicle.

Thanks Pete