Mercedes

Have Mercedes questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

On a 2008 Mercedes CL63 AMG if the head gasket have a slight…

Customer Question
On a 2008 Mercedes...

On a 2008 Mercedes CL63 AMG if the head gasket have a slight leak can you add a head gasket additive to fix the problem car doesn't run hot just have to add anti freeze monthly

Mechanic's Assistant: How old are the hoses? And have you tested the actual mix of your coolant?

1year old dealer said head gasket are leaking

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model of your '08 Mercedes?

On a 2008 Mercedes CL63 AMG dealer say head gasket leaking car doesn't run hot just have to add anti freeze monthly can a head gasket repair additive be added to fix problem and if so what would you recommend

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?

Nothing

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Mercedes
1/6/2018
Mercedes Mechanic: Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager replied 4 months ago
Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager

HI,

There are some people that swear by headgasket stop leaks such as Blue Devil, which does work to stop some headgasket leaks. But what they dont tell you is the damage these sealants can do. They can clog the thermostat, heater core, radiator and even water pumps and damage them, thereby increasing the cost of repair. While this does not happen in every case, it does happen enough that I do not recommend using them and most other professional mechanics do not recommend them.

Most times that people elect to use them is when they are trying to get a few more months out of a vehicle before purchasing another vehicle - they know further damage can happen but due to financial constraints opt for this to just get them by for a few more months.

Not taking in any financial considerations and just going by what the potential longterm damage to the vehicle versus any short term help it provides, I do not recommend using headgasket stop leaks of any brand as the longterm damage outweighs any short term results

If for any reason, you can't rate my answer OKAY, GOOD, or EXCELLENT/3 STARS OR HIGHER today. Please reply and let me know why, so I can help more/better. All follow up responses are FREE, after completing the required rating

Please remember to rate service using the separate pop up rating page. Thank you

I am sorry that the answer is not what you wish to hear, but it is correct. Please acknowledge that you have been properly warned of the damage this will cause your engine if you elect to ignore the professional advice and proceed with using a stopleak product

Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager