Mercedes

Have Mercedes Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Mercedes

I have a 1992 300E Mercedes that wont start at the moment…

Customer Question
I have a 1992 300E...
I have a 1992 300E Mercedes that wont start at the moment but even when it did start last time as soon as I put my foot on the gas pedal is stopped. Prior to that happening it ran out of gas and then it was hard to start so we installed a new distributor cap, spark plugs and wires, fuel pumps, rear shift position sensor. Any ideas.
Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Mercedes
1/6/2018
Mercedes Mechanic: Marty, Mercedes Technician replied 1 month ago
Marty
Marty, Mercedes Technician

Hi, my name is***** you remove the air cleaner and spray starting spray into the intake will the car fire and run as long as you spray the starting spray?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
She said if she sprays it in she can start the car but as soon as she hits the gas it cuts off. She thinks she is getting too much air in her intake and my friend said she had vacume leaks?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
She said if she sprays it in she can start the car but as soon as she hits the gas it cuts off. She thinks she is getting too much air in her intake and my friend said she had vacuum leaks?

Ok, so at least you know that the ignition system works. If there are vacuum leaks that are keeping the car from running they would have to be big vacuum leaks. Can she get the car to start and idle on its own?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
A friend our hers was able to get the car to start and idle. But as soon as he left she was unable to get it to do the same she is not able to get it to run at all.. Somehow running out of gas has triggered this problem. Once she put the gas into it would not start. She then had fuel pumps installed. Still nothing so she had distributer cap and rotor and still nothing. Then wires and spark plugs into it and then it turned over but as soon as she hit the gas it died. She then installed the crank shaft position sensor in the rear and she hasn't even tried to start it since this time.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Once she put the spray on the air filter intake she was able to get the car to start but then it died as soon as she hit the gas..

Since the car will run on ether it tells you that you have a fuel delivery issue. The spark plugs, cap, rotor, wires and crank sensor are not the problem. Since the car idles or idled for awhile it tells you that there are no large vacuum leaks that are causing the car not to run. Has she replaced the fuel filter?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
The fuel filter was changed with the fuel pump. She wants me to say she held her hand on top to the intake manifold where you spray the spay and it started as long as she held her had on top of it cut off.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
But as soon as she took her hand off the car died.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Once the person in the car hit the gas that is.

Ok, then she should inspect the hoses that go to the idle control valve. The hoses can split and cause the engine to run lean. She needs to inspect both ends of the hoses. The opposite end from the idle valve is hard to get to but she needs to check to see if it is split. She should also check the fuse in the overvoltage protection relay located behind the battery. If the fuse is blown or if the relay is bad it will not want to start when cold. If she can keep it running until it warms up a little by holding her hand over the air intake and it still dies when it warms up I doubt that the relay will be the problem.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thanks, ***** ***** trying to rate you but it is not letting me.

You're quite welcome. You should be able to rate now.

I'll be here if you need anything.

Marty
Marty
Marty, Mercedes Technician