Mercedes

Have Mercedes questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Thank you. My 98 C230 went into limp mode. Bought the tranny…

Customer Question
Hi, and thank you...

Hi, and thank you. My 98 C230 went into limp mode. Bought the tranny dip stick to check fluid level...it was good. Took to the only Mbz shop around and had complete diagnostics run...it's the transmission plug adapter. They recommend a full transmission service which includes replacing the adapter. I believe this will be my vehicle

Mechanic's Assistant: When was your transmission fluid last checked?

Hi, Pearl...sorry, pls bear with me.... This will be the first tranny service, I believe. And this shop uses the Amsoil synthetic fluid. Is this ok? My car has been running great since I've owned it these last 26 months. I have all service records. As far as tranny fluid being checked, I assumed my regular shop checked it, but now unsure....

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your C230 yourself? What have you tried so far?

No, I am no mechanic...have friends who are good with domestic cars...they used an OBDii, but somehow no codes appeared, so I felt better taking it to an mb tech

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Just looking for assurance re the transmission service is a good idea...is it ok to use Amsoil instead of mb fluid....

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Mercedes
1/6/2018
Mercedes Mechanic: Steve, Automotive Expert replied 6 months ago
Steve
Steve, Automotive Expert

what is the mileage on the vehicle ? have the transmission ever been serviced?

167,455. No svc that I am aware of. Can we talk live? Please? Will make brief
I am not a mechanic..I am a woman seeking expert advice to gain peace of mind on her car. Moved and no longer have my regular shop, so I found you, hoping to get answer... is it xtra to talk on phone? If so, we can type...I can type
My problem is not a problem. Just need to verify info about saving tranny
Excuse...not saving...meant servicing

it is extra to talk by phone but I have set it to the lowest allowable and offered it.