Mercedes

Have Mercedes questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

We have just noticed a groaning sound associated with the…

Customer Question
Hello. We have just...

Hello. We have just noticed a groaning sound associated with the steering on our 2011 ML350 (ie when wheel turns left it seems to groan/whine; same when the wheel turns right). We checked steering fluid, topped it up just in case. Made no difference. We are in a cold part of the country (now hovering at 0 degrees F). What do you think? How much noise would be normal for our car in cold weather? Thanks

Mechanic's Assistant: Do you have power steering? Have you checked the power steering fluid?

Yes, we have and have checked the fluid.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your ML350 yourself? What have you tried so far?

We topped up the power steering fluid.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

No, thanks.

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Mercedes
1/3/2018
Mercedes Mechanic: Marty, Mercedes Technician replied 6 months ago
Marty
Marty, Mercedes Technician

Hi, my name is***** long as the fluid is full and the steering feels normal I would not be overly concerned about the noise. I would suggest that you have the power steering fluid replaced at your earliest convenience. There is a filter built into the power steering reservoir. If the noise does not subside after the flush or when the weather warms I would replace the reservoir.

Let me know if you have any questions.