Mercedes

Have Mercedes Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Mercedes

My 2001 C320 is throwing esp, abs codes. It turns over fine…

Customer Question
Hi my 2001 C320...

Hi my 2001 C320 is throwing esp, abs codes. It turns over fine but will cut of when making a turn

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the brake fluid? And have the brakes been squeaking?

No I haven't noticed any brake noise but it just started and I haven't been driving it

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your C320 yourself? What have you tried so far?

No its my sons car and he's driving me nuts using mine we tried transmission fluid, new battery and when he pushes or jimmies the hood it seems to "fix

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

No that's it

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Mercedes
1/3/2018
Mercedes Mechanic: Lou P. master tech, Mercedes Technician replied 1 month ago
Lou P. master tech
Lou P. master tech, Mercedes Technician

Hello, my name is***** and i will do my best to assist you.I am going over your story now and will reply back soon with some info,thanks!

do you have a code reader that reads mercedes benz ?

not all scanners do read all modules in the car.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
no I don't

ok, that is ok for now, lets see what we can figure out, keep in mind this is not a diagnostic service so to say but i am good with mercedes and feel that i can help get you fixed up if not on the right track.

so let me ask you,

does the car die like if the key was shut off?

does the engine restart right away?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
that is pretty much exactly what it does
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
My son thought maybe a sensor or wire was loose because when he "pushes" on the hood it seems to fix it temporarily

ok, does the car shut off if you are at a standstill and turning the wheel or do you have to be driving?

pushing on the hood is super strange as there is no correlation to the hood latch switch and the car running.

does the car have anything added like a remote start or alarm? that is NON mercedes?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
It turns off at standstill or turning it drives okay on a straight forward path
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
no there's nothing added maybe the hood is conincidental

ok, but you do have to turn the wheel for it to turn off?

i am going to be asking a lot of questions as this is not normal or common, but bear with me, i am good at what i do :)

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
sure no prob

ok, so does it matter left or right or can you turn it either way and it dies? also how far do you have to turn the wheel? like if the wheel was a clock, and center is 12, how far left or right do you have to turn it for it to die?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
around 3 oclock

ok, how did this all start? after a previous repair?

or out of nowhere?

after a car wash or rain?

are you near the car now?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
the car was running fine but a friend borrowed it for a couple of days and it was in this shape when it came back
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
no I'm not but if it would be easier I could try and get there later or at another agreed upon time

lol, man if i had a dollar for each time i get this same scenario.

couple of things i would like to try , see what is going on

first start the car and let it idle, lets let it idle for 5 min. make sure its warm and all looks good.

after 5 min turn the wheel and pay attention to the rpms and see if they lower a lot when turning or if they stay ok until the engine just shuts off.

lets make###-##-#### sure that its related to turning the wheel and not a huge coincidence.

also when idling see if you can rev the engine with no issues.

max rpm will be about 2500 so no worries the engine will not let you damage itself

I am on all the time pretty much so just let me know what time you think you will be near the car and i will do my best to be around. which again im usually on all the time :)

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I can do it after work as I'm not driving the car I would guess around 6:30 pm eastern

ok that should work fine, send me a message about 30 min before hand, i will get a notification and get with you asap.

have a good day, we will get this figured out.

I am interested to see what is going on, i like these types of issues.

puts me to the test :)

Lou

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
will do thx Lou

for sure, no problem.

:)

MB Paul
MB Paul
MB Paul, Mercedes Technician