Mercedes

Have Mercedes questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

It will not crank or start. When I turn the key, i get

Customer Question
It will not crank...

It will not crank or start. When I turn the key, i get nothing I tested the battery- good voltage and cranking amps. I tapped the starter.. it cranks when engaging the starter from underneath the car but nothing when I turn the key

Mechanic's Assistant: Is the car in "Park" or "Neutral?" Do you know if your car has a "wheel lock" feature?

The car is in park. i tried to start it in both park and neutral I am not sure

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Mercedes?

2005 ml350

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your ML350 yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes.. I traced the wires to the starter, recharged the battery because the cold and constantly trying to start the truck has drained the battery slightly. I checked all fuses and relays.. all the relays look the same but they all have power

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Mercedes
1/3/2018
Mercedes Mechanic: Matt, Engineer replied 7 months ago
Matt, Engineer

Hello and welcome to Just Answer

I'd 1st investigate the connections to the brake pedal switch and the wiring to it for any crimp damage or fraying. Ideally use a multimeter to check that the switch is working OK. This is because the gearbox controller won't allow the lever to shift from park until it sees that your foot is on the brakes

There should be 2 switches one for the brake lights and the other for the gearbox and both are located at the top of the brake pedal in the drivers footwell.

If this is OK then check the selector lever linkage for any broken parts and or missing bolts or if a bolt is partially out and is jamming things up

also is the dash all lighting up as normal? as if not then this would indicate its a security system issue

and I'd next check that the fob batteries are in in good condition and consider doing a ECU reset

by disconnecting the battery cables and clamping them together for 10 mins. Remove both battery leads from the battery then use a nut and bolt or G-clamp to hold both battery lead terminals together.

This discharges any capacitors / memory within the ECU and around the car so ensures all memory settings are wiped clear - back to the factory default.

This will reset all the systems on the car and ensure that the keys are in your hand when you re-connect the battery as the car may lock and turn on the alarm

My goal is to give you the best advice that I can and I hope that I've helped today. Please remember to rate my service by selecting from the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave. If you need more help, use the reply box to let me know.
If you're not pleased, also let me know because rating bad does not result in a refund, there are better options. Rating now will not close this post nor prevent further replies
Thanks Matt