Mercedes

Have Mercedes questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I have a 2013 C300 4matic luxury edition. The ESP light is…

I have a 2013...

I have a 2013 C300 4matic luxury edition. The ESP light is on. The instrument cluster says the system is off and I can not access at of the functions with the left switches on the steering wheel.

Mechanic's Assistant: Has the light been on for some time?

I went out to get into the car yesterday and it was on when I started it.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your C300 4matic yourself? What have you tried so far?

The car is a certified preowned one. I would like to fix it if I can.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

The car has 38,000 miles and has been problem free to this point.

Answered in 1 hour by:
1/3/2018
Marty
Marty, Mercedes Technician

Hi, my name is***** you post the last 8 digits of the vin number?

DA806089
Here is the 8 digits you asked for. what do you think?

Hi, thanks for getting back to me with the vin number. For these problems, you will need to remove and inspect the connections to the steering column module. I would remove and reinstall the module and see if your switches begin to work. If you have no success you will most likely need to replace the module. Click here for some good instructions on the removal and replacement. Ideally, you should get the car connected to a Mercedes tester to read out the fault codes but since you have an ESP malfunction along with inoperative switches on the steering wheel I would think that the module is at fault or there is a poor connection.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Thank you very much. This has been very helpful. Is there an aftermarket code reader that you would recommend?
You’re quite welcome. I have heard good things about the iCarsoft scanner for Mercedes.
Hello Marty, Thank you again. I am looking at the iCarsoft i980. It looks perfect.

You're quite welcome. I'll be here if you need anything.

Marty
Marty, Mercedes Technician