Mercedes

Have Mercedes Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Mercedes

Won’t start. There’s power in the car. 2011 c300. Not much…

Won’t start Mechanic's Assistant:...

Won’t start

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the battery, particularly the terminal connections? Are they corroded?

There’s power in the car

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Mercedes?

2011 c300

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your C300 yourself? What have you tried so far?

Not much everything seems to work except I can’t roll my window up and it won’t start?

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

That’s all

12/31/2017
Dan, ASE Master Technician

Hello my name is***** am a Master Technician and I am glad to help you

When did this start happening?

Even though you have power in the vehicle does not mean your battery has enough current to start the vehicle.

Have you tried jump starting the vehicle?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
It just randomly happened , there was a few insidents were I turned the key and nothing happens then took the key out put it back in and it turned on ... everything seems to work but I can’t roll windows up eaither should I try to jump it
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
This time it won’t do nothing dash comes on lights work , when door is ajar it says remove key on dash

I would start by testing the battery. Make sure your cables are clean and tight. Replace the batteries in the key.

Check the battery voltage with a volt meter. Try jump starting.

If these simple things do not work then you need a dealer scan tool to check for diagnostic trouble codes in all vehicle systems. Having a scan tool on modern vehicles is critical to diagnose these electrical issues.

Please let me know if you have any more questions.
Customer satisfaction is my number one goal. Giving a 3 star or higher rating would be appreciated very much. You can do this rating at the box on the upper right hand corner. This will not close our chat session and at no extra charge we will still be able to talk about any other issues you may have for free! Providing a rating is the only way I will receive credit for my work with you. Negative ratings do not result in a refund so If you’re not satisfied with the work we have done so far please respond more and let’s get your question figured out

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Let me try real quick

ok let me know. Thanks

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Nothing worked I even checked fuses

I will open this up to other experts maybe someone else will be able to help more.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok thank you
Marty
Marty, Mercedes Technician

Hi, my name is***** are the symptoms of a faulty electronic steering lock. When the lock fails it does not send a confirmation to the ignition switch allowing the car to start. You might have success resetting the vehicle electrical system. To do this you need to disconnect both battery cables and connect the two cable ends together for five minutes. After five minutes you can reconnect the cables to the battery and see if the car will start. If you have no success you will need to have the electronic steering lock replaced in order to repair this problem. I am assuming that your car battery is not dead. You should try a jump start if you have not already done so.

Let me know if you have any questions. Please remember to rate my service in order for the website to credit me for helping you.

Marty

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok I’ll try it
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I tryed it nothing worked , is there a way to bypass this
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
can I install it myself

You cannot bypass the steering lock. This part is a theft relevant part. Mercedes will not sell you the part. It needs to be installed by the Mercedes dealer or by an authorized independent Mercedes repair shop.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
What’s my best route money saving wise

Well, if you have a good independent Mercedes shop near you that is authorized to purchase theft relevant parts that would be your best bet. I'd expect to pay approximately $700 for this repair.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok can I run a diagnostic myself to make sure that’s the problem so they don’t try to screw me over ?

You would need a scan tool that can read the fault codes in the EIS (electronic ignition switch). The fact that your cluster warning lights don't come on and the windows don't work all point to a faulty steering lock.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you so much

You're quite welcome.

Marty
Marty, Mercedes Technician
Marty
Marty
Marty, Mercedes Technician