Mercedes

Have Mercedes Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Mercedes

I have a 1995 Mercedes s320 that had engine and transmission…

Customer Question
I have a 1995...

I have a 1995 Mercedes s320 that had engine and transmission replaced. It starts and restarts fine for a period. Then when turned off it can take several hours before it restart.

Mechanic's Assistant: Will the headlights turn on? Is the battery fully charged?

Yes to both.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your S320 yourself? What have you tried so far?

Where is Marty ?

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

I am not fixing it myself.

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Mercedes
Answered in 1 hour by:
12/31/2017
Mercedes Mechanic: Marty, Mercedes Technician replied 1 month ago
Marty
Marty, Mercedes Technician

Hi, my name is***** the motor crank but not start when this happens or does it not even crank when you turn the key?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
The motor does not crank.

Ok, just to be clear, when you turn the key nothing happens, is that correct? There is no starter operation?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
THERE IS NO STARTER OPERATION.

Ok, have you tried starting it in neutral when it won't start?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
TRIED STARTING IN NEUTRAL.

Ok, I am assuming that the battery is not dead when the car won't start. You will need to test the voltage at the starter solenoid when the key is turned to the start position. If there is approximately 12V to the small wire on the solenoid you simply have a bad starter. If there is no voltage at the solenoid you will need to test the voltage in and out of the neutral safety switch. No voltage to the switch would indicate a bad ignition switch. No voltage out of the switch would indicate a bad neutral safety switch. Based on the description of the symptoms I suspect you may have a bad starter. Make sure that the battery is fully charged and the cable connections are clean. Also make sure that you have a good ground from the engine to the chassis. Also make sure that the connections to the starter motor are tight.

Just checking in. Have you made any progress with this?

Marty
Marty
Marty, Mercedes Technician