Mercedes

Have Mercedes questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I have a 2017 Mercedes GLS and it does not start. There is a…

Customer Question
Hello. I have a...

Hello. I have a 2017 Mercedes GLS and it does not start. There is a problem with the engine. I cannot put it in neutral. I need to tow it. How can I put it in neutral?

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the battery, particularly the terminal connections? Are they corroded?

The car was flooded and the battery is dead. I used a jump box. All of the lights on the dashboard are on, but the car does not go in neutral. Could it be because of the current extremely cold weather?

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model of your '17 Mercedes?

2017 Mercedes GLS

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes, I am fixing it by myself. So far, I only tried the jump box. I cannot even move it from its current location and will need to tow it to my garage.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Also, I would like to know where the starter is located in this vehicle.

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Mercedes
Answered in 1 hour by:
12/31/2017
Mercedes Mechanic: Wolfgang, Mercedes Technician replied 6 months ago
Wolfgang
Wolfgang, Mercedes Technician

Welcome, I'm Wolfgang.

I do need a vin # of the vehicle to get the factory information to assist!!

Thanks

• WORK TIME, I am here 7 days a week but not all hours of the day, do not worry I will respond.
  • FEES, I am a user of the website like you, not an employee. Any fee or account questions need to be addressed to the website.
  • PHONE CALLS are automatically offered by the website. I or another may take the call if you request one.
  • UPLOADED LINKS, if I upload dropbox links, without the phone app use the box on the top right for direct download.
  • RATING ANSWERS, please let me know what you need from me so you are pleased with my answer.
  • I am confident we can resolve your problem together. Please understand that I don't know your skill level. In most cases when you have a problem with the way the vehicle performs, specialized tooling is required to acquire computer data/information or engine testing results. We didn’t build these complicated vehicles; we just diagnose and fix them. Also understand that I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the vehicle either, so it may take a few replies to get to satisfactory results. Note there may be an issue where the complexity of the issue will require a Premium Service. This service will be an addition to the normal question cost. Usually it does not come down to this but keep in mind!! I am also going to direct you with the fastest, easiest and most common things to check first. Please be patient and permit me to do what I do best. I also try to give all of the information you may need, expecting a “positive rating” in return. I will also continue assisting you after you have rated me, if necessary. If there is any reason I cannot get a positive rating, please let me know why “in advance”, so I can go another direction for you. I am sorry you’re having this problem; I’ll help you through it.

• Below is my first answer or request for more information. If you do not understand it, or you need more information from me, or need me to go in more detail.

Vin: 4JGDF6EE3HA848172

there is an adapter where the one of the rear tires is removed and placed on the axle a freewheel hub to allow the tires to roll.

since water has contaminated the electrical system and a jump pack will not release to neutral ,a scan tool is needed to see what modules are not online to narrow the root cause. Not the news you want to hear !!