Mercedes

Have Mercedes questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

My 2006 mercedes e350 I just bought. I parked it with wheels…

Customer Question
My 2006 mercedes e350...

My 2006 mercedes e350 I just bought. I parked it with wheels turned to the right and my electronic key won't turn the ignition on. AAA came and couldn't get it to turn. I don't know what to do

Mechanic's Assistant: Do you have power steering? Have you checked the power steering fluid?

I have power steering but haven't checked the fluid. Some arm chair mechanics are telling me only mbz can get the key to read again. I hope that's not true because I don't have a lot of money left from my mom's inheritance, in fact I'm practrically broke

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your E350 yourself? What have you tried so far?

I haven't tried anything except to try and turn the steering wheel to unlock it. that didn't work. My brother in law is coming over today to try and get it to unlock. He and my sister had owned mercedes in the past and he was a mechanic. But, he's not familiar with electronic keys other than on his old BMW. He thinks maybe it needs to charge?

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

I guess It would be is there any remedy to get the electronic key to turn other than having it towed to an expensive dealership I can't afford?

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Mercedes
how much will this question cost me?
12/30/2017
Mercedes Mechanic: Pete, Mercedes Mechanic replied 7 months ago
Pete, Mercedes Mechanic

Hi, my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases, I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

If the steering wheel turns both ways slightly then this won't be the steering lock at fault here.If the steering wheel is bound up and does not turn you will need to have someone try and turn it hard one way or the other while trying to turn the key.

If the steering wheel does turn and your key does not turn in the ignition most common to cause this fault here is the key itself with it needing to be replaced.The electronics fail in it causing this issue here.The electronic part that locks and unlocks the vehicle may still work properly but the part that allows the key to rotate and start the engine fails internally causing this issue and the key has to be replaced to correct this fault.

The key has to come new from a dealer as this is the only way to get this key for your vehicle.It will come pre-programmed ready to go for your vehicle.Unfortunately, it cannot be reprogrammed when it fails or any other time.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service, your 5-star rating is appreciated ( should be a link to click on here or above).You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.I work on delivering the best answer and help here but in some cases, it can be difficult to do without seeing the vehicle.

Thanks Pete

Hi, just checking in to see how things are going. Do you need further assistance?