Mercedes

Have Mercedes questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I have a 2003 CLK 430 convertible, while driving the

Customer Question
I have a 2003...

I have a 2003 CLK 430 convertible, while driving the accelerator pedal dropped to the floor and now I have no throttle. How do i fix this?

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Convertible yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes, and nothing yet

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Mercedes
12/30/2017
Mercedes Mechanic: Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager replied 7 months ago
Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager

HI,

Ok, your accelerator pedal is made up of over 2 dozen components. Most likely causes are broken friction cable and springs, broken pin holding the accelerator pedal to the pedal lever, broken pedal lever, broken spline shaft, but may be other component as well. See attached diagram of the accelerator pedal assembly

Depending upon what has broken, you will likely have to replace the whole assembly as very few of these parts were sold separately and are discontinued now.

If for any reason, you can't rate my answer OKAY, GOOD, or EXCELLENT/3 STARS OR HIGHER today. Please reply and let me know why, so I can help more/better. All follow up responses are FREE, after completing the required rating

Please remember to rate service using the separate rating page. Thank you

Please note that if you have a subscription service, you still are required to rate service, however you are not charged again. This is just so that your expert is credited for their time and services. Thank you.

Mercedes Mechanic: Marty, Mercedes Technician replied 7 months ago
Marty
Marty, Mercedes Technician

Hi, different expert here. My name is***** information that Eric provided is not for your car. Your car uses a cable that connects the throttle pedal to the pedal position sensor under the hood. Most likely the cable has become disconnected at one end or the other. I would check under the hood first. The pedal position sensor is located near the brake master cylinder.

Let me know what you find.

Marty

Good morning, just checking in. Did you locate the problem?

Hi Marty,
You are correct, the cable is disconnected at the end close to the master cylinder. Is there a fix for the problem, or do I have to replace the cable?
Thanks,
P.S. It has been way to cold to be working outside on a car.

Hi Jerry, thanks for getting back to me. If the ball socket has come loose from the cable you will need to replace the cable. The part number for the cable is 208 300 04 30.

Let me know if you need anything else.