Mercedes

Have Mercedes questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

1985 300 SD TURBO DIESEL WONT START IT WAS DOING GOOD TILL…

Customer Question
1985 300 SD TURBO...

1985 300 SD TURBO DIESEL WONT START IT WAS DOING GOOD TILL IT GOT COLD.GLOW PLUGS CYCLE NEW FILTERS FUEL IS TREATED ITS NOT FROZE UP WONT FIRE ON A SHOT OF EITHER ABOUT 300000 MILES. HELP

Mechanic's Assistant: Has the vehicle turned into a gas hog? And how does it start -- same as usual?

NO IT IS NOT A FUEL HOG IT WAS STARTING FINE UNTIL IT GOT COLD IT ALMOST ACTS ELECTRICAL

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Turbo yourself? What have you tried so far?

TURBO IS FINE IT WONT FIRE

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

NEW BATTERY 1 MONTH OLD FULLY CHARGED I JUST NEED TO GET IT STARTED

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Mercedes
12/30/2017
Mercedes Mechanic: Marty, Mercedes Technician replied 6 months ago
Marty
Marty, Mercedes Technician

Hi, my name is***** weather, possibly one or more bad glow plugs, 300,000 miles resulting in low compression. All of these add up to a hard start problem. The first thing you should do is make sure that all glow plugs are working. Next, you can try using spray silicone as a starting spray. When using silicone you don't give it just one shot you have to continually spray it into the intake to run the motor on the silicone until a little warmth is built up and the motor will run on its own. It usually takes about 30 seconds on the silicone to get it to run. You are going to need a helper to crank the motor while you spray the silicone. I would also remove the vacuum hose to the fuel shut off valve when trying to get it started. Also, make sure that the fuel system is airtight. Air in the fuel system will make it impossible to start. It's also important to have a strong battery. It wouldn't hurt to have a jumper battery connected while trying to start the motor.

Let me know if you have any questions.

THANKS MARTY ANY CERTAIN KIND OF SILICONE?

No, most any brand will do. I've used NAPA brand in the past. WD40 will also work but I think silicone works better.