Mercedes

Have Mercedes questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

When I turn the key to crank it it wont do anything plus it…

Customer Question
When I turn the...

When I turn the key to crank it it wont do anything plus it wont come out of park. Ive tried to find the starter relay and fuse but no luck

Mechanic's Assistant: Can you turn the steering wheel at all? And what about the key? Is it worn or damaged?

Not worn or damaged tried both keys . havent tried moving the steering wheel

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Mercedes?

2011 c300

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your C300 yourself? What have you tried so far?

Tried to find the relay and fuse but cant find which one it is.

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Mercedes
12/29/2017
Mercedes Mechanic: Pete, Mercedes Mechanic replied 6 months ago
Pete, Mercedes Mechanic

Hi, my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases, I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

First I would check and make sure this isn't a dead battery issue causing this fault here.If you have a dead or weak battery it will cause both issues.I would try a jump start or battery re charge.

If this is or was done and did not correct the fault the most common cause of this issue on your model here is the electronic steering lock failing.When this fails it will not allow starting or to be removed from park.You should hear a hum or buzz noise from the steering column area when you insert the key at first.If you do not hear this noise then the steering lock has failed and needs replaced.This involves removing steering column trim covers and under dash panels to access and replace it.

This won't be a fuse or relay issue.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service, your 5-star rating is appreciated ( should be a link to click on here or above).You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.I work on delivering the best answer and help here but in some cases, it can be difficult to do without seeing the vehicle.

Thanks Pete

I fixed it I guess the steering wheel was in a bind turned the key on and turned the steering wheel and it cranked....thanks

Your welcome.Glad to see it has been resolved.Keep in mind if it continues the steering lock may need replaced as this was a common failure.

Let me know if you need anything else and feel free to rate my help here or above ( should be a link to click on ) as this is how I receive credit for my time,this can be done at any time and you can still come back here and reply if needed.Your 5 star rating is appreciated

Thanks Pete

Fixed it myself before expert answered

That is great to hear.I apologize for any delay and posted as soon as I saw your question myself.If you need anything else let me know.

Thanks Pete