Mercedes

Have Mercedes Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Mercedes

I have a 2010 Mercedes sprinter wdzpe7cc3a5465214. rear

Customer Question
Hello, my name is*****...

Hello, my name is***** have a 2010 Mercedes sprinter wdzpe7cc3a5465214 . rear drivers tail light does not work. I was adding a trailer plug and i think I short circuited the wire momentarily and now the drivers tail light does not work. I have disconected the battery cable several times to no avail.

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the bulbs? Have you checked the connection?

I bulb is fine, the connection plug is fine. The tail light works fine if I plug it into the other side. there is 0 volts to the wire.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Sprinter yourself? What have you tried so far?

I would like to fix it myself . I have checked all fuses . I have disconnected the battery cable a few times .

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

I dont think so, I was attempting to connect a trailer plug and I installed a diode between the tail light wire and the brake wires and I think that is what caused this. I have since removed all connections and have the sprinter back like it was before I worked with it and it still does not work.

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Mercedes
12/28/2017
Mercedes Mechanic: Lou P. master tech, Mercedes Technician replied 1 month ago
Lou P. master tech
Lou P. master tech, Mercedes Technician
Hello my name is***** am going over your request now and will reply back soon with some info OR a few questions that would help me better determine how to help you. Keep in mind I have no idea of your technical ability or what you do and do not already know. So the more info you can tell me the better. I have been on the site for almost ten years and have oustanding 5 star ratings so trust that I will do everything I can to get you taken care of, Lou
John have you checked the fuses under the dash on the drivers side? I know you said you checked them all but some are not aware of these fuses. Also i will refer to a diagram to see what else we can check. I will message back in a bit. Lou

the wire should be a grey wire with a black stripe.

if the fuses are all ok, and you reconnected the taillight, turned the lights off, closed the door, locked and unlocked the vehicle and it still does not work you will need a scan tool to have it checked.

the lights are actually activated through what is called a sam, it is the fuse box but its also a module.

the only way to know 100% if there is an issue is with the mercedes scan tool to activate and test the lines.

hope this helps.

Lou

Please take a second and click the STARS at the top of the screen to rate my service 5 stars if you feel I have been helpful , rating is just as important to me as your issue is to you. Please request me in the future. Keep in mind that when you rate it does not end our conversation, you can still return here to me for follow up information if needed, Thanks for choosing just answer. Also , if you feel I deserve one , BONUSES are GREATLY APPRECIATED! Thanks again ,
Lou P.
Master Mercedes-Benz Tech
Master ASE Certified Tech

Lou P. master tech
Lou P. master tech
Lou P. master tech, Mercedes Technician