Mercedes

Have Mercedes questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I set the parking brake on my 21014 MBZ E-350 and when

Customer Question
I set the parking...

I set the parking brake on my 21014 MBZ E-350 and when releasing, the handle won't retract

Mechanic's Assistant: Have your brakes ever been replaced? Have you checked the brake fluid?

Not that I'm aware and I have not checked the fluid level

Mechanic's Assistant: What year is your E350?

2014

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your E350 yourself? What have you tried so far?

Just went out of warranty this year so no. I haven't really tried anything but trying to push the release back into place and setting the brake; neither of which work.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

No. Thanks!

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Mercedes
12/26/2017
Mercedes Mechanic: Pete, Mercedes Mechanic replied 3 months ago
Pete, Mercedes Mechanic

Hi, my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases, I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

Did the park brake lever release but the handle won't go back in?

Let me know, thanks, Pete.

It released and won't retract and the parking brake won't engage (stay down). Is this a cable or electronic?

I apologize for the delay as the web site was having some technical difficulties yesterday and I couldn't get back here until now.

This is the mechanical parking brake control that has an issue.It may be the spring in it has failed or the cable that leads to the release handle has failed or is bound up.You can try and inspect it further to see if the cable or handle is bound needing free'd up but if you see no issues the park brake control assembly needs to be replaced.It can fail suddenly like this here with it needing to be replaced.Below is a link to the correct part number for your model as well as cost and what it looks like as an assembly.You can zoom in on the picture to see the control assembly to see if you can get it to free up but it may need to be replaced.

https://parts.mbfm.com/p/Mercedes-Benz__E350/PARKING-BRAKE-CONTROL/52377610/2044201584.html

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service, your 5-star rating is appreciated ( should be a link to click on here or above).You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.I work on delivering the best answer and help here but in some cases, it can be difficult to do without seeing the vehicle.

Thanks Pete

Hi, just checking in to see how things are going. Do you need further assistance?

Pete, Mercedes Mechanic