Mercedes

Have Mercedes questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I have a 2015 s550 mERCECE. I have a s550 2015 Mercedes.

Customer Question
I have a 2015...

I have a 2015 s550 mERCECE

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your S550 yourself? What have you tried so far?

I have a s550 2015 Mercedes. 18,000 miles. In the winter when temperature drops around 40 F and below the car whines when I put my foot on the brake. It continues to whine even at a full stop if my foot is on the brake. The whine stops if I press down hard on the brake when standing still. After driving a few miles the whine goes away. Any ideas? the dealer says the "car is too heavy" and I "don't drive it enough" which all seems like nonsense. Thanks

Mechanic's Assistant: How many miles are on the car? Have you checked the coolant level?

18,000 miles. Coolant was checked by dealer

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Nothing I can think of

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Mercedes
12/26/2017
Mercedes Mechanic: Steve, Automotive Expert replied 4 months ago
Steve
Steve, Automotive Expert

can you please describe the noise in more detail? also where on the vehicle it seems to be coming from?

It's a whine like something is running underneath the hood or the brakes but I cant tell. Dealer just puts me off because they know I am going to purchase the car at the end of the 4 year lease which is in 8 months....then I bet they decide to fix it..
I can go outside to the car and I can call you from my cell phone. But I need another person to put on the brake while I am outside the car. I don't know if the whine is louder in or outside the car. can we do the call later when i am home? What is the number? Would in one hour be ok to call?

is it an electric wine or rotational mechanical whine?

I don't know for sure. Sounds rotational to me
I need to let you hear the whine.
As a leased car, I have never even opened the hood. Just bring to dealer once a year for service.
I am not a car person.
Hate to sound dumb, but for cars I am

Please do not forget to click a positive rating as this is the only way I receive credit for my answer, thank you

this sounds to me like it could be an issue with the abs/hydraulic pump.

it sounds like this is simple to replicate so I would insist that a stethoscope is used to trace the noise

if the dealer won't/can't fix it, I would then request they involve the regional technical engineer from Mercedes USA to assist. You need to be sure this is corrected before you buy out the car and/or the warranty expires.

Please let me know if you have further questions. Please do not forget to click a positive rating as this is the only way I receive credit for my answer, thank you. Best wishes with your vehicle.

Steve
Steve
Steve, Automotive Expert