Mercedes

Have Mercedes Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Mercedes

I have a 2001 V12 mercedes I was driving it down the highway…

Customer Question
I have a 2001...

I have a 2001 V12 mercedes I was driving it down the highway and it started to run rough the check engine light came on . What's going on ... tank is full .

Mechanic's Assistant: Does the light stay on, or does it blink?

Yes it's staying on no blinking . I drove it back home delayed my trip out of town ..What a setback !

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model of your '01 Mercedes?

S600 V12 2001

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your S600 yourself? What have you tried so far?

I've tried nothing it happened this evening

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Mercedes
I'm still waiting . Are you there ?
What happened is there anyone there ?
I'm still waiting on the mechanic's answer ...what's going on ?
I feel that I'm being ...Ripped ! Where is the Mechanic ? Still waiting at 3:39 in the morning !
Cancel my request asap . I'm being Ripped . I feel it.
Answered in 1 hour by:
12/26/2017
Mercedes Mechanic: Matt, Engineer replied 2 months ago
Matt, Engineer

Hello and welcome to Just Answer

Sorry for the extended wait time you've experienced, many experts on here are not always on line and if your question looks unusual then people may leave it for someone else with greater experience and it then tends to slip down the list

plus the time of year also means there are less experts online
I've only just come online now and would like to assist you with your question.

as you have a check engine light then this is good news in away as it will speed up the diagnosis

The fault can be something quite simple and nothing that’s going to stop the car to something quite major that will reduce engine power and possibly stop the engine

The ECU senses this and may put the car into 'limp home' mode which typically limits the revs and the amount of power available. Usually the car is safe to drive for a short distance as the mode is intended is intended to get you home without incurring any engine damage

The quickest route to repair is to have the car plugged into a diagnostic machine which will read off the fault code stored in the ECU (providing the light is still on at this point) and indicate which sensor has failed or whether the fault is more serious.

from your description I'd say its likely that 1 or more of the ignition coils may be faulty and these engines are known for this being an issue once they reach over 10 years old or 40,000 miles

Unfortunately the coils are not sold separately by Mercedes and they will want to charge upwards of $1400 for new parts

however there is now an alternative as this firm offers a repair service where they can just replace the coil that need changing and test the whole assembly for a fraction of this cost

see here:

http://www.v12icpack.com/

I should also say its wise to replace the spark plugs on the cylinders that have been misfiring, and hopefully your fault code will point to what cylinders are effected

My goal is to give you the best advice that I can and I hope that I've helped today. Please remember to rate my service by selecting from the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave. If you need more help, use the reply box to let me know.
If you're not pleased, also let me know because rating bad does not result in a refund, there are better options. Rating now will not close this post nor prevent further replies
Thanks Matt

Mercedes Mechanic: Matt, Engineer replied 1 month ago

Hi
do you still need help?
Bear in mind that the site takes a deposit from you at the beginning and this is held by the site until you rate my answer at which point the cash is split between the site and the expert. I am only paid for my work on this question if you rate my answer, using the star system at the top of the screen. Please do not forget! If you're not pleased, also let me know because rating bad does not result in a refund, there are better options. Rating now will not close this post nor prevent further replies
Thanks Matt

Matt, Engineer