Mercedes

Have Mercedes questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

1998 s420, no outside mirror adjust, along with no steering…

Customer Question
1998 s420, no outside...

1998 s420, no outside mirror adjust, along with no steering wheel adjust, fuses are good

Mechanic's Assistant: How has the car been driving lately?

Everyday

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your S420 yourself? What have you tried so far?

The drivers mirror was shorted out, replaced it today

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Bought this car 6 months ago, mirrors and steering wheel adjust worked, one day, smoke came out of drivers mirror, popped #21 fuse, replaced mirror, fuse is good

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Mercedes
12/24/2017
Mercedes Mechanic: Marty, Mercedes Technician replied 7 months ago
Marty
Marty, Mercedes Technician

Hi, my name is***** 30 in the fuse box under the hood powers the MSC control module for the steering column and mirror adjustment. Mke sure fuse 30 is installed and that it is good and has power on both sides of the fuse with the key on.

Let me know what you find.

Marty

there is power on both sides of fuse 30
I was charged 26$ without my authorization........what is that for?
I believe the $26 is the fee for my help. If you were confused about the question fee you will need to contact customer service. If you are ok with the charge we can continue with the diagnosis of this problem.
ok, please continue, with my experience with these cars, there could be something that needs to be reset???

There is no reset for these items aside from removing the fuse for 5 minutes then reinserting it. If that doesn't work I would have to suspect that the MSC control module is faulty or there is no power getting to the module. You will need to test the power to the module. Double check fuse 21 for the mirrors again and make sure it has power.

where is the module?

I sent you a picture. It's behind the passenger side footrest panel.