Mercedes

Have Mercedes questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I had not driven it for a while and the battery was dead so…

Customer Question
I had not driven...

I had not driven it for a while and the battery was dead so I jump started it. Drove about 20min to go get it washed and while idling waiting in line to go to where they clean the interior the red battery alert light came on. I thought it was due to the fact that the battery had been dead and I did not drive it long enough to charge. but I thought that if the engine was on the alternator would take over. the notice that all systems would shut down in 3 min came on so I parked it and went and bought a fully charged brand new battery. it seemed to be fine but after driving around a couple times the red batter alert came on and then even though the engine was on it stopped working it seams that the battery is not getting charged and all systems are working of the battery power till it dies

Mechanic's Assistant: Did you test the battery with a voltmeter? And have you ever changed one before?

I am being told that my 2009 clk 550 only has one battery. initially they told me it could be the aux battery but it seams I don't have a secondary one on my car.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your 550 yourself? What have you tried so far?

So far I just changed the battery and it works fine right after but it drains it right away because it seams all the electrical is running off it. I have a second new battery on it at the moment and it will run

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

I am guessing but i think it is the alternator

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Mercedes
Answered in 1 minute by:
12/22/2017
Mercedes Mechanic: Mike V., Auto Service Technician replied 7 months ago
Mike V.
Mike V., Auto Service Technician

Thank you for your question!
My name is ***** ***** give me a moment to review your question and type my reply. Thanks

You are correct, this does indicate you need an alternator. It's not charging properly so the car is running off the battery. Once the battery drains things go down hill until eventually, you can't drive it anymore. I would check the belt first, but if it's been sitting it's very possible it's needing a new alternator to resolve the problem.

Please let me know if there is anything else I can do to help.
Just Answer does not compensate me for my time and resources, so please rate my answer by using the stars at the top of the page. Payment for your question includes any follow-up questions you may have. Free trials and subscription questions still require ratings.
Thank you so much!

it had only been sitting for about 2 months with minimal with a small move from one location to another. why would that cause the alternator to go bad. and is there something else i should be looking for since the car was jump started. any particular fuses or relays?

What happens sometimes is the brushes in the alternator sort of rust to the bendix, then when you start it it grinds them down very quickly. This is just surface rust and can be a normal occurrence. If it were a fuse issue, then the charge light should be on right from the start. I think the alternator isn't putting out enough charge, but is trying to charge. Most parts stores will test them right on the car for you. If it's not cranking out about 14.3 under load, then it's a problem.