Mercedes

Have Mercedes questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I have a code 00015 that was just set off this evening. My…

Customer Question
I have a code...

I have a code 00015 that was just set off this evening. My VIN # is WDBRF54H17F856027. Can you check if my car falls into the group with a balancer issue?

Mechanic's Assistant: Just to clarify, what's the exact code? And have you tried to reset it?

P00015 and no I have not tried to reset it. Would that be the first step to see if it is a false code?

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Mercedes?

2007 C280

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your C280 yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes and nothing as I just got home and read the code.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Not that I can think of.

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Mercedes
12/21/2017
Mercedes Mechanic: Wolfgang, Mercedes Technician replied 4 months ago
Wolfgang
Wolfgang, Mercedes Technician

Thanks for choosing Just Answer . I'm Wolfgang here to help!!

I am confident we can resolve your problem together. Please
understand that I don't know your skill level. In most cases when you have a problem
with the way the vehicle performs, specialized tooling is required to acquire computer
data/information or engine testing results. We didn’t build these complicated vehicles; we
just diagnose and fix them. Also understand that I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the
vehicle either, so it may take a few replies to get to satisfactory results. Note there may be an issue where the complexity of the issue will require a Premium Service. This service will be an addition to the normal question cost. Usually it does not come down to this but keep in mind!! I am also going to direct you with the fastest, easiest and most common things to check first. Please be
patient and permit me to do what I do best.
I also try to give all of the information you may need, expecting a “positive rating” in
return. I will also continue assisting you after you have rated me, if necessary. If there
is any reason I cannot get a positive rating, please let me know why “in advance”, so I
can go another direction for you. I am sorry you’re having this problem; I’ll help you
through it.
Below is my first answer or request for more information. If you do not understand it, or you need more information from me, or need me to go in more detail.

mileage and any other codes?

120,000 and only other code shows on my reader is the same P00015 with some characters that look like pd on the right side of the code.

there is a good possibility it needs a chain and the balance shaft kit .

the only real way to verify is the factory MB scan tool to run the dynamic tests.

Ballpark. What does that run? I know it will vary across the country, I live in Napa, CA, but am just trying to get a general idea.

what the MB factory dealer scan tool has a test plan that it would run the dynamic timing test and see if the timing of the camshafts would adjust to specific timing . if it fails it will tell you to replace the chain and perform the balance shaft replacement . (remove engine) it is about a 40 hr job for the repair

so 40 hrs at $140 hr + parts

last one estimated 9000 and reman engine is 9800 + 24 hrs of labor

i have seen the aftermarket do the repairs but they short cut it and do not replace all the parts and they have not corrected the issue!! so beware!!

anything else?

if not.....

I try to be online 365 days a year.

I only earn a paycheck when a customer rates me Ok, Good, Excellent.

This rating is VERY IMPORTANT! Your rating compensates me on my time and my expertise on your issue!

A lot of the repair information and fixes are hard to come by!!

I HAVE DONE MY PART IN HELPING YOU AND I DO EXPECT THE SAME WITH A 5 STAR RATING!!!

So please rate me above!!!! Bonuses are also greatly appreciated!!!

If I have not addressed your original question to your liking yet, I hope you will reply and continue working with me, since your charged the full question value, regardless if you rate negative or not at all. If you rate me now, do not worry, you can still reply later to me.

Thanks and Happy Holidays

Wolfgang

I don’t understand how a code that points to a bad VCT solenoid becomes a 9k replace my perfectly running engine.When I started the chat it indicated that I would be answered by Marty and then when I was sent to pay I was redirected. How can I ask Marty the question?

the p0015 is a correlation fault with static timing of the engine . first the scan tool runs tests to see if the variable timing can adjust the camshaft then after that check the timing correctly MB technic***** *****ke myself would use a Hermann oscilloscope to monitor all 4 timing cam sensors.

if the scope pattern is not uniform then the timing chain is stretched and possible the intermediate shaft gear teeth is worn .

MB offers a balance / intermediate shaft kit and a new chain . the price of the parts are not that bad but what kills you is the labor of repair . by the time parts and labor for repair almost matches engine reman price . for a little more you have a new engine than a repaired engine with some new parts and old parts .

do you have any more questions?

I appreciate your experience and the thoroughness of your answers but I have many, many, interactions with Marty and have developed a trust with him. No offense meant to you!
When I started this process it indicated I would get my question answered by Marty and I would like to know how to accomplish that.
I have no problem with you getting paid for your time and answers but please understand that right now I feel JustAnswer baited and switched me. I’m not accusing you as a I don’t know that you had anything to do with the way this was handled.
If you could point me in the direction to get connected with Marty I would greatly appreciate that.

I'm sorry but there was no request for Marty in your question and that is why I have answered your question with quick response.

If you have stated in your question Marty only he would answer this only .

When I chatted with the screener it showed Marty’s picture and indicated he was going to answer the question. Only after the screener sent me to the pay page was anyone else indicated and I tried multiple times to get back to the screener to request Marty but there was no way to do that. The only option was to pay and find out who answered.
How can I get back to the screener?

the best option contact customer service to say that you wanted marty to assist. make sure when you open the question state Marty only in the question and then he will assist you!!

Wolfgang
Wolfgang
Wolfgang, Mercedes Technician