Mercedes

Have Mercedes questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

My mechanic said my 2001 E430 will not pass a smog test

Customer Question
My mechanic said my...

My mechanic said my 2001 E430 will not pass a smog test because of the drive cycle. Also I've replaced all the parts to this favorite car of mine, and for 2 years my shop had not been able to get the "check engine" light to go off.... they turn it off and after about 40miles, it turns on again...but the car runs great... I am at the site to see the answer to the 2000 merds e430 that won't pass smog check... any thoughts?

Mechanic's Assistant: Does the light stay on, or does it blink?

Stay on

Mechanic's Assistant: What year is your MiniE?

It's a 2001 E430

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your MiniE yourself? What have you tried so far?

Whats a MiniE? Not sure what my mechanic has done...

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Let me check the last part that was replaced.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Mercedes
12/19/2017
Mercedes Mechanic: Pete, Mercedes Mechanic replied 7 months ago
Pete, Mercedes Mechanic

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

Is the check engine light on now or is it on when you drive it or go in for testing?

Let me know,thanks Pete.

it goes to the shop and they turn it off
when i drive it for about 40 miles, the light comes on
it does not turn off. this may have nothing to do with the drive cycle which my mechanic said is not going to pass the smog test?i'm just trying to get an idea if this is a common problem with older mercedes? I'm not a mechanic, so just trying to figure it out.
oh oh I have to go to a meeting... :-( Please answer the best you can since I'm paying for this already. I think I got in over my head but I like your site.
Thanks!!

O.k., it will not pass emissions testing until the fault is repaired that caused the light to come on.It sounds like the shop is diagnosing or repairing it incorrectly which is why the light comes back on again.The fault code needs to be re checked to see what code is setting with this issue here than from there it can be diagnosed to then locate and repair this fault.This has to be done in order for the light to remain off to then run and pass emissions testing.

You may have to have another repair facility check the codes to see what codes are set then diagnose the code and repair the issue as it does sound like the repair facility being used now is not able to find the fault.

This isn't a common fault and there are several components that will turn on this light on your engine and transmission so you do have to have the codes re checked then diagnosed properly and repaired from there to correct this issue.Then you can have it tested to pass emissions.

But this light will not come on for no reason.There has to be a reason it is coming on so it does need looked into further and repaired.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service, your 5-star rating is appreciated ( should be a link to click on here or above).You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.I work on delivering the best answer and help here but in some cases, it can be difficult to do without seeing the vehicle.

Thanks Pete