Mercedes

Have Mercedes Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Mercedes

GETTING COOLANT VISIT WORKSHOP.. SHOP SAYS NEEDS NEW CONTROL…

Customer Question
GETTING COOLANT VISIT WORKSHOP....
GETTING COOLANT VISIT WORKSHOP.. SHOP SAYS NEEDS NEW CONTROL MODULE/FANS ASSEMBLY.. CAN I GET MODULE BY ITSELD TO SAVE MONEY? 2005 CLK500
Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Mercedes
12/19/2017
Mercedes Mechanic: Ron, ASE Certified Technician replied 2 months ago
Ron, ASE Certified Technician

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I am happy to assist you today. Give me just a moment to review your post, and I'll be right back with the help you need.

Unfortunately, the cooling fan as well as the cooling fan control module on your CLK are one assembly and are not serviced separately, there is no way to replace the module without having to replace the cooling fan as well. That being said its very common for the Engine Cooling Fan Module to fail as well.

WHERE IS BEST PLACE TO GET LEAST EXPENSIVE UNIT TO REPLACE?
WHAT IS PART # I NEED? VIN #
WDBTJ75J55F150712

Unfortunately, finding a dependable aftermarket unit for your CLK is going to be pretty hard to do. The factory part number is(###) ###-####and the factory list price is $645.00/

WAS HOPING USED OR MAYBE REBUILDING OR REPAIR?

I do not have a source for a builder but you may want to check with a salvage yard to see if perhaps you can locate a used unit. I have enclosed a source below to check for a salvage unit.

http://usedcarparts.com/

NO POSSSIBLE WAY AT ALL TO REMOVE MODULE ITSELF? PLACE CAN REBUILD MODULE WITH LIFETIME WARRANTY, BUT THEY ONLY TAKE MODULE

I do not know of a way to remove the module but it would not hurt to ask the builder if they can get the assembly apart to repair the module without destroying the cooling fan.

Does that part # you gave me include the module? I texted my mechanic and this is number on actual unit: 88500412504696882? Also i found the part you specified and one of them said 600watt and other 850?

The part number is ***** factory part number for the assembly.

would they be one in rather. Same? What is different in wattage?
Sorry.. one in the same?

Mercedes does not list any wattages in any of there listing. If the part number is ***** with the factory part number then it should be the same.

Confused.. i am finding used online for 250-300.. mechanic was finding used for much more and wasn’t raising price just to make profit.. he told me to buy, but then gave me that huge number of the part. ?

If he's not marking the price up there really should be no difference in pricing. The risk you run with a used one is it may be defective as well and usually if it is an electrical component they will not warranty it.

That does look like the correct part and all parts are shown. See the link below. This is Mercedes picture and they look the same to me.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/511yltraltu6k5a/Cooling%20fan%20Dec%2019.pdf?dl=0

Okay.. i guess not mercedesbrand though?

Not likely if you getting it online, its likely aftermarket but as long as it comes with a warranty you should be okay.

I would go with new before used but thats your call.

Even with aftermarket? Versus used ?

Aftermarket is new so yes I would be okay with it, used is what I would stay clear of.

Just checking in to see if your still needing help with this , if so please post back and we can work from there if need be. If not then please take a moment to rate my service so I can get credit for my time, the question remains open for follow up even after doing so, all you need to do is return to this question if need be.

Thank you again.

Ron, ASE Certified Technician