Mercedes

Have Mercedes Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Mercedes

I have a 2008 r350 with ~160K miles. Two days ago it just…

Customer Question
I have a 2008 r350...
I have a 2008 r350 with ~160K miles. Two days ago it just died while I was driving. At first there was a loss of power then 15 seconds later the engine quit. It will crank, but not start. It acts like it is either not getting fuel or spark. I read lots of forums and went ahead and replaced the crank speed sensor with no change in condition. I am hoping you can tell me what to try next. Fuel pump relay?
Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Mercedes
12/19/2017
Mercedes Mechanic: Marty, Mercedes Technician replied 2 months ago
Marty
Marty, Mercedes Technician

Hi Steve, my name is***** crank sensor is very common as is the fuel pump. You can try a new fuel pump relay but I would not be surprised if you had a fuel pump going bad. A fuel pressure test should be performed when the car won't start. If there is no fuel pressure the next step is to verify that the pump is getting 12V when cranking. If you have 12V to the pump and no fuel pressure you will need to replace the fuel pump.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Marty

Marty, thank you. It is acting like no fuel pressure. Isn't it strange though that it just died with no warning or intermittent failure. I'll figure out how to check for 12V at the pump and go from there. Thanks again. I'll be sure to let you know how I do.

You're quite welcome. I'll be here if you need anything.

It would probably be easier to check the fuel pressure at the fitting on the fuel injector rail.

Marty
Marty
Marty, Mercedes Technician