Mercedes

Have Mercedes questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

My brother installed a water pump on my 2005 C240 mercedes…

Customer Question
My brother installed a...

My brother installed a water pump on my 2005 C240 mercedes and now the car will not start.

Mechanic's Assistant: Has the vehicle ever overheated? And when was it last serviced?

No it has never overheated and he changed all the spark plugs

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your C240 yourself? What have you tried so far?

My brother installed thebwaterpump and spark plugs

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Not at the moment

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Mercedes
12/18/2017
Mercedes Mechanic: Pete, Mercedes Mechanic replied 7 months ago
Pete, Mercedes Mechanic

Hi, my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases, I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

Replacing the water pump and spark plugs usually won't cause this issue unless something was bumped loose or damaged when the pump was replaced or the spark plugs were not gapped properly or the spark plug cables or coil wiring was not connected properly.These would be the only reasons it wouldn't start.

I suggest checking over the water pump replacement area and make sure no electronics or components were bumped loose or damaged in any way needing repaired or replaced.I have seen engine coolant temp sensor damage in some cases when the water pump is replaced causing this fault.

I would double check the spark plug gap and spark plug cables and wiring to make sure they are all connected properly.Make sure the spark plugs are not just fouled out with fuel needing removed and cleaned and dried to correct this as well.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service, your 5-star rating is appreciated ( should be a link to click on here or above).You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.I work on delivering the best answer and help here but in some cases, it can be difficult to do without seeing the vehicle.

Thanks Pete

Hi, just checking in to see how things are going. Do you need further assistance?