Mercedes

Have Mercedes questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I have a 2002 ML320 Mercedes and the shifter is stuck in…

Customer Question
I have a 2002...

I have a 2002 ML320 Mercedes and the shifter is stuck in park. when I put a pencil under the "D+" the shifter is release, but I have to do it all of the time when I want to get out of park.

Mechanic's Assistant: Do you have brake lights? Have any trouble codes popped up?

Yes

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your ML320 yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Yes i am typing P0600 - Powertrain Serial Communication Link is first code in red P0705 - Powertrain TransmissionRange Sensor Circuit Malfunction

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Mercedes
Those two were the red current faults.Two green Pending faults also came up.
P0720 - Powertrain
Output Speed Sensor CircuitP08356 - Powertrain
Power Steering Control Circuit Loware the other two
Also, the car wouldn't shift out of first, but now does. the only problem is getting out of park.
12/17/2017
Mercedes Mechanic: Lou P. master tech, Mercedes Technician replied 7 months ago
Lou P. master tech
Lou P. master tech, Mercedes Technician
Hello my name is***** am going over your request now and will reply back soon with some info OR a few questions that would help me better determine how to help you. Keep in mind I have no idea of your technical ability or what you do and do not already know. So the more info you can tell me the better. I have been on the site for almost ten years and have oustanding 5 star ratings so trust that I will do everything I can to get you taken care of, Lou
When you start the car i need to know 2 things
1-do the brake lights work when pressing the brakes
2- does the gear display next to the clock show P for park? Or any other gear when you manually shift it?
The parking brakes work, and when I put the Pen in the slot/hole under the "-D+" the shifting handle is released and all of the gears - R - N and D+ all light up on the instrument cluster.
Ok does the P show ??
not the parking brakes, the rear brake lights is what i am asking about
The "P" shows and all of the other ones show. The brake lights work too. evreything works, just getting out of park is the problem. I have to use a pen in the slot. Did you get the picture?Thank you
Ok gotcha, was just making sure. Ok so was anything spilled on the shifter? At this point i believe the shifter is bad. But you need the mercedes scan tool to compare the readings from the transmission and the shifter and also read the codes that are in the shifter. Its a control module and the codes you gave me are what we call generic obd2 codes they are not actually mercedes fault codes. So if you are wanting to fix yourself then i suggest purchasing the icarsoft mercedes scan tool off of ebay or amazon to get the correct codes or have a dealer or european shop read the codes . But that is the only way we will know whats going on. Hope this information helps , Please take a second and click the stars at the top of the screen to rate my service so I may receive my credit for helping, 5 STARS is ideal. Please request me in the future! Keep in mind that when you rate it does NOT end our conversation, you can still return here to me for follow up information if needed just simply reply back, THANKS! Lou P Master Mercedes-Benz Tech Master ASE Certified
If I bought a shifter from the junk yard or even the dealer, would the shifter have to be programmed?Thank you
Cannot use a used shifter, i know 100% you cannot with the fully electronic ones, im very fairly certain you cannot with yours as well. They are programmed one time only and cannot be reprogrammed with normal scan tools or dealer tools. Not sure about electrical wizards lol im sure someone out there can wipe the vin but thats beyond my knowledge

Please take a second and click the stars at the top of the screen to rate my service so I may be paid for my assistance.5 stars is ideal :) . Please save me as a favorite and request me in the future.Keep in mind that when you rate it does not end our conversation, all it does is pay me for my help. You can still return here to me for follow up information if needed just simply reply back, thanks!
Lou P.
Master Mercedes-Benz Technician
Master ASE Certified