Mercedes

Have Mercedes Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Mercedes

Power steering not working. Checked fluid today was good but…

Customer Question
Second opinion] power steering...

Second opinion] power steering not working

Mechanic's Assistant: When was the fluid last checked? Have you heard any whining noises while turning the wheel?

Checked fluid today was good but i cannot turn the wheel

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the make/model/year of your car?

2002 mercedes ml500

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your ML500 yourself? What have you tried so far?

My husband is handy

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Mercedes
12/17/2017
Mercedes Mechanic: Marty, Mercedes Technician replied 2 months ago
Marty
Marty, Mercedes Technician

Hi, my name is***** the belt is intact and you cannot turn the wheel the problem will typically be with the power steering pump. Replacing the pump should correct this problem.
​Let me know if you have any questions or need further assistance.
Marty

I should also add that the power steering reservoir contains the filter for the system. You could try replacing the reservoir first but most likely it will not fix the problem. Regardless of whether it fixes the problem or not, the reservoir should always be replaced when replacing the power steering pump.

Marty
Marty
Marty, Mercedes Technician