Mercedes

Have Mercedes questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I brought my car to dealer because it wont start due to no…

Customer Question
I brought my car...

I brought my car to dealer because it wont start due to no power and the dealer told me that the esl electronic steering lock is bad. so i told them to replaced the esl which will cost me 1700. after replacing the esl the technician called me and told me that the transmission is not shifting and went to limp mode.

Mechanic's Assistant: Is the power loss consistent, or does it fluctuate?

Im not sure they didn't tell me. they just say that they took the car to a test drive after replacing the parts and the engine light came on and the tranny stuck in 1st gear

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Mercedes?

2008 c350 sport. before the esl went out i drive the car daily to work amd never had an issue with tranny. as the matter of fact i just gas the car smog about 3weeks ago and it passed no problem

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your C350 yourself? What have you tried so far?

No the dealer replaced the esl

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

I want to know what causes the tranny going to limp mode stuck on 1st gear after the dealer replaced the electronic steering lock

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Mercedes
12/15/2017
Mercedes Mechanic: Steve, Automotive Expert replied 8 months ago
Steve
Steve, Automotive Expert

Please do not forget to click a positive rating as this is the only way I receive credit for my answer, thank you

replacing the steering lock should have no bearing on the transmission - the only thing that could possibly link them would be a voltage spike or something along those lines during the original work. otherwise it would be coincidental.

Please let me know if you have further questions. Please do not forget to click a positive rating as this is the only way I receive credit for my answer, thank you. Best wishes with your vehicle.

Why is it that when they perform a diagnostic on the car they didn’t mention about the limp mode and the only findings on the diagnostic is the esl. Could it be the reason is that there was no power for about 2days stuck in my garage which forces the tranny to limp mode?

Please do not forget to click a positive rating

low voltage and voltage fluctuations can cause all kinds of bizarre issues, so it is possible.

The reason they did not find the tranny issue during the diagnostic is because the issue was not presenting itself at that time. Please do not forget to click a positive rating

My point is that it is the technicians responsible to fully diagnose the car after replacing the esl to make sure that all is good as far as voltages and that the parts is installed properly before taking the car for a test drive

yes they should check the installation then take the car for a test drive after any repair to be sure it is functioning correctly and there are no remaining issues. In this case it sounds like they found a new issue after doing the work. I am not sure if you have a question about this? Please do not forget to click a positive rating

That’s the argument discussion I try to make with them that before I decided to bring the car to them, (dealer), I never had issues with transmission and never experience a limp mode situation. Because I’m not stupid to spend $1700 to fix the esl if I know that I had problems with transmission. I would’ve junk it. It’s very expensive to maintain this kind of car. And I do not have the money which is 3-6k for tranny repair. They finally called me and told me that they will run a diagnose again and I’m hoping that it’s a minor and that their able to fix the limp mode issue

yes you can try to argue that with the dealer, and see what they are willing to do. If you have another question for mea please ask it. otherwise, please select a positive rating to ensure I receive proper credit for my time and answer.