Mercedes

Have Mercedes questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I have a S55 AMG 2002. I let my son drive it and he did a…

Customer Question
I have a S55...

I have a S55 AMG 2002. I let my son drive it and he did a donut now the car will no longer move in reverse or drive. Hope it is a simple problem to fix. What do you think it is

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model of your '02 Mercedes?

S55 AMG

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?

I f it's easy I would like to fix it. my self just don't know the problem

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

It won't move in drive or reverse

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Mercedes
12/13/2017
Mercedes Mechanic: Matt, Engineer replied 7 months ago
Matt, Engineer

Hello and welcome to Just Answer

when you switch on the engine do you have any fault lights illuminated?

as this could be an ABS / stability control issue

so if there's an ABS or ESP light on then this would point to that and ideally the next step would be to plug into a dealer level scan tool to pull off the fault code

if there are no fault lights on I'd say to try resetting the ECU by disconnecting the battery cables and clamping them together for 10 mins. Remove both battery leads from the battery then use a nut and bolt or G-clamp to hold both battery lead terminals together.

This discharges any capacitors / memory within the ECU and around the car so ensures all memory settings are wiped clear - back to the factory default.

This will reset all the systems on the car and you may need the radio security code to get it going again, and ensure that the keys are in your hand when you re-connect the battery as the car may lock and turn on the alarm

if that doesn't work I'd next check the transmission oil level

Hi
do you still need help?
Bear in mind that the site takes a deposit from you at the beginning and this is held by the site until you rate my answer at which point the cash is split between the site and the expert. I am only paid for my work on this question if you rate my answer, using the star system at the top of the screen. Please do not forget! If you're not pleased, also let me know because rating bad does not result in a refund, there are better options. Rating now will not close this post nor prevent further replies
Thanks Matt