Mercedes

Have Mercedes questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

WHat is the simplest way to remove/replace a passenger SRS…

Customer Question
WHat is the simplest...

WHat is the simplest way to remove/replace a passenger SRS in 1998 w140 mercedes

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model of your '98 Mercedes?

S420

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your S420 yourself? What have you tried so far?

I am handy and want to do it myself. The problem is NOT with the airbag but rather with the molded dashboard covering it. It appears that it was pressed downward when hot from sun by a passenger who propped feet up there. The weight of the legs pressing down through the heels resting on the dash left a concave dent and fold line wrinkle.

Mechanic's Assistant: How long has this been going on?

I would like to get the airbag out and use a heat gun to make the dash plast warm again and then let it cool off in a pried up/correct position.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

SO I need to get the airbag out for space and safety No, that is all I want not

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Mercedes
Answered in 1 hour by:
12/13/2017
Mercedes Mechanic: Lou P. master tech, Mercedes Technician replied 8 months ago
Lou P. master tech
Lou P. master tech, Mercedes Technician
Hello my name is***** am going over your request now and will reply back soon with some info OR a few questions that would help me better determine how to help you. Keep in mind I have no idea of your technical ability or what you do and do not already know. So the more info you can tell me the better. I have been on the site for almost ten years and have oustanding 5 star ratings so trust that I will do everything I can to get you taken care of, Lou
I will get you the info for removing the dash. Give me some time to organize the info then i will contact you again here . Lou
I do not want to REMOVE the whole dash! I just want to know how to remove the passenger airbag [above the glove compartment] so that I can blow some hot air onto the underside of the dashboard that is just above/covering the airbag.If this is ABSOLUTELY impossible, let me know. Again, I do NOT want to know how to REMOVE the whole dashboard. Thanks
Remember, this is on a 1998 S420 Mercedes Benz.
Oh ok well that is not possible. The whole dash must be removed to access the backside of the airbag cover :(
My apologies on my delay my work information system was not loading for some reason. But again you cannot access just the airbag cover on the passenger side. You must remove the front seats, center console and everything you see in the dash to get the dash assembly out its like a 25 hour job
Lou, I am not sure how to rate this first experience with JustAnswer. The site confirmed that a tech was online and available at the time I first interacted with the site. And so I agreed to the Initial $5 charge. Then I had to wait over 1 hour before you responded. And only after the site charged my card an additional $37 did you inform me that it was impossible to do what I described the question/comments/description I posted ...because a tech was online and available to help me at that time. THe bot***** *****ne is that I am not happy and not impressed with this service, so much so that in the event that you are unable to arrange for the $37 charge to be reversed, I will ask my credit card company to void all the charges and cancel the JustAnswer merchant account so that this type of "mistake" never happens again.I( hope you understand my frustration and will get my $37 refunded. Please confirm your response.
Ok on my end i see no phone call offered or accepted. Based on the portion i am paid i see or assume your question value was set at 32.60$ i do not know or have access to how the site charges or anything of that nature . Best i can say is if you are unhappy you can follow the customer service links for a full refund. Sorry about the i initial wait but not all experts or techs on the site have the ability to answer all questions. So some may take longer for someone to pick up. I apologize if you felt that it took to long, but in my opinion i am the best for this info so it would have been in your favor. We really do great things on this site and i myself have a great following. But like any situation sometimes expectations are not met. I hope you give us a chance again and i hope i can continue to help you but its your call. Again you can submit for a refund by following the customer service links . Lou