Mercedes

Have Mercedes questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

2008 Smart Fortwo. The abs light comes on often along with…

2008 Smart Fortwo. The...

2008 Smart Fortwo. The abs light comes on often along with the triangle warning light. It comes on regularly once I go past 60mph. ALSO I am experiencing intermittent noise when I press on the brake. I can feel metal resistance under the pedal, a slight grinding noise and I swear what seems like a bar movement under my feet. I had the brakes checked, had front brakes and rotors replaced. Mechanic said back brakes have 60% left on them. The braking/grating noise is really bad when trying to stop on ice and snow. Is it a stablization bar issue?

Mechanic's Assistant: Is it just the ABS light? Or is the brake system warning light on, too?

ABS only

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Fortwo yourself? What have you tried so far?

No, I am not mechanically inclined.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

There is a wrench icon on the dash. The operator's manual says its a transmission issue. I have been ignoring it for 140 days! I have no money nor credit to pay for any transmission repairs.

12/13/2017
Pete, Mercedes Mechanic

Hi, my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases, I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

The abs and brake light will come on when a fault is detected with one of the abs components.This can be a fault with a failing wheel speed sensor which will also cause an odd feel to the brake pedal when braking as well as a pulsation or grind type noise.

What has to be done from here is to have the fault codes read out/checked using a fully compatible scan tool that will plug in and can read all computers in your vehicle to see what codes are set.Once this is done any codes set then need diagnosed to then locate the fault.A local shop or dealer can read out as well as diagnose and repair the fault for a fee.A local parts store can usually read out the fault codes at no charge to you and can give you an idea of what is at fault needing replaced.This does sound like a possible fault with a wheel speed sensor causing this issue needing replaced.

One other thing to check is like you have posted above.The stabilizer bar bushings and links to make sure none are worn as this can cause an odd feel when driving or in some cases braking as well.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service, your 5-star rating is appreciated ( should be a link to click on here or above).You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.I work on delivering the best answer and help here but in some cases, it can be difficult to do without seeing the vehicle.

Thanks Pete

Do you have any idea how much a replacement wheel speed sensor would be? If that sensor is the issue and gets replaced will that clear up the wrench icon on dash?

That should also clear up the wrench icon as well as usually this light will come on when a fault is detected with engine or abs issues.

The replacement cost ( if it is a wheel speed sensor) is around $90 and a half hour labor ( or up to $100 ) to have replaced.

Let me know if you need anything else and feel free to rate my help here or above ( should be a link to click on ) as this is how I receive credit for my time,this can be done at any time and you can still come back here and reply if needed.Your 5 star rating is appreciated

Thanks Pete

Pete, Mercedes Mechanic