Mercedes

Have Mercedes Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Mercedes

Alarm keeps going off while parked. 2014 cla 250. Tried

Customer Question
Alarm keeps going off...

Alarm keeps going off while parked

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you tried locking and unlocking the driver's side door using the key itself?

Yes

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Mercedes?

2014 cla 250

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?

No....tried locking with the inside lock—-made sure all the lights were off

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Mercedes
Answered in 1 hour by:
12/13/2017
Mercedes Mechanic: Steve, Automotive Expert replied 2 months ago
Steve
Steve, Automotive Expert

hello and welcome.

Please do not forget to click a positive rating as this is the only way I receive credit for my answer, thank you

The alarm is going off because the vehicle thinks it is being broken into. This vehicle uses several sensors to monitor its security. Most commonly it is the sensor that monitors the opening/closing of the hood that goes bad and triggers the erroneous alarm, but it could be any of multiple sensors (hood sensor, any of 4 door latch sensors, interior motion sensor, rear lid, etc) that is triggering the false alarm . You can inspect visually and on some models you can unhook the hood sensor or put a shim on it to try and identify it as the cause. Aside from this there is really no way to guess at it.

If you cannot isolate the hood sensor as the issue by unhooking it or putting a shim on it, the good news is that every time the alarm goes off, the vehicle logs the reason – ie, what sensor set it off. So, in order to verify what is triggering it, you will need to have the alarm memory read out of the vehicle using a scan tool – this will point to the root cause. Without reading out the memory from the security system, there is no way to identify which component may be faulty unless there is something obviously damaged, so all a person could do is guess, which will get very expensive, very quickly.

Once the alarm memory is read, the faulty component can be identified and replaced, and the problem resolved.

Please let me know if you have further questions. Please do not forget to click a positive rating as this is the only way I receive credit for my answer, thank you. Best wishes with your repairs.

did you have additional questions?
Steve
Steve
Steve, Automotive Expert