Mercedes

Have Mercedes Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Mercedes

I have a fuel delivery problem on a 87 260E. Fuel up to the…

Customer Question
Hi ... I have...

Hi ... I have a fuel delivery problem on a 87 260E. Fuel up to the distributor but not the engine.

Mechanic's Assistant: Has the vehicle turned into a gas hog? And how does it start -- same as usual?

Does not start. It used to die randomly during driving but always restarted.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your 260E yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes. I've replaced both pumps, accumulator, filter, fuel relay, etc.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Can't think of anything else currently.

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Mercedes
12/12/2017
Mercedes Mechanic: Marty, Mercedes Technician replied 2 months ago
Marty
Marty, Mercedes Technician

Hi, my name is***** the car run on starting spray (ether)?

As long as you feed it fuel at the intake, it will run.

What is the history of this problem? Has the car been sitting for a long time? Can you bypass the fuel pump relay and perform a fuel delivery test at the fuel return line from the fuel distributor? You should get about a liter of fuel in 30 seconds.

The history is it was running until a fuel hose burst. Hose was replaced but never started completely again. Started a series of parts swapping over time and found that the fuel was not reaching the engine. The most recent of the parts were 2 fuel pumps, 1 accumulator, and 1 filter which are only days old. I've had the fuel distributor off already and the fuel was definitely pressurized when removing the lines. All o-rings and such are in proper condition.

Can you bypass the fuel pump relay and perform a fuel delivery test at the fuel return line from the fuel distributor? You should get about a liter of fuel in 30 seconds. The first thing you need to know is that you have fuel flow. You might have pressure but you may not have flow. If the fuel system passes the fuel flow test the problem would have to be with the fuel distributor. Sometimes you can remove the EHA and blow through the passages in the fuel distributor and get it to work. You should also make sure that the return line all the way to the tank is clear. If the return is plugged it will raise the chamber pressure and the fuel distributor will not spray when you press down on the air flow sensor plate. To properly check this you should perform a fuel pressure test at the upper and lower chamber of the fuel distributor.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Hi, just checking in. Have you made any progress?

Marty
Marty
Marty, Mercedes Technician