Mercedes

Have Mercedes Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Mercedes

2003 Mercedes ml320 .start error. 203.000. Codes were read…

Customer Question
2003 Mercedes ml320 .start...

2003 Mercedes ml320 .start error

Mechanic's Assistant: How many miles are on the car? Do you have scan tool or a code reader?

203.000

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your ML320 yourself? What have you tried so far?

Codes were read and were the tps sensor, vacuum solenoid on the gas tank and injector number 5

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Well that I have replaced all those parts and then some to no avail

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Mercedes
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
12/12/2017
Mercedes Mechanic: Lou P. master tech, Mercedes Technician replied 2 months ago
Lou P. master tech
Lou P. master tech, Mercedes Technician
Hello my name is***** am going over your request now and will reply back soon with some info OR a few questions that would help me better determine how to help you. Keep in mind I have no idea of your technical ability or what you do and do not already know. So the more info you can tell me the better. I have been on the site for almost ten years and have oustanding 5 star ratings so trust that I will do everything I can to get you taken care of, Lou
When the dash says “start error” you have an issue with one of the following
1-ignition key(s)
2-transponder coil that snaps onto the outside of the ignition switch
3-AAM (all activity module)
Those are all the parts of the anti theft system. You need 2 keys and a mercedes scan tool to effectively diagnose the issue. The scan tool you are currently using is not good enough to actually read all the modules . Hope this information helps Please take a second and click the stars at the top of the screen to rate my service so I may receive my credit for helping, 5 STARS is ideal. Please request me in the future! Keep in mind that when you rate it does NOT end our conversation, you can still return here to me for follow up information if needed just simply reply back, THANKS! Lou P Master Mercedes-Benz Tech Master ASE Certified
I'm definitely mechanically inclined so what happens is it does start but then stalls when it stalls the bas/esp comes on and says start error.i only have one key fob that came with the car bought used a year ago. But since this accurance I have replaced the tps,crankshaft sensor, camshaft sensor,fuel pump,fuel filter,all the plugs and wires/coils was I just foolish to do so. If I remove the transponder and then try to start it ,it does nothing until it's back in place so that means its working right ...where is the 3aam
This is typical of the anti theft . It will always start and shut down. Abs and esp come on no differnt then if the key alwas turned on for a bulb check. The aam is attached to the underside of the engine bay fuse box .
I got it to run for a couple weeks and the idle was 110 ish and it would deaccelerate up hill and die anytime i let off the gas .If i replace the Aam does it need to be computered or just plug and play
They are not plug and play and they need to be installed at a dealer to be coded and programmed and a used one will not work.
from all that I said your about sure it's something to do with the antitheft why would it do that out of nowhere
Lol, i love this question. Things do not have to give you a warning sign that they are gonna break or fail. How it drove and what you replaced means nothing to the scenario. I am not telling you that the aam is bad in my first response was the answer. In order to properly diagnose this you need a mercedes scan tool and 2 ignition keys. Then it can be determined if the issue is the key, transponder coil, or aam. That is the only way besides replacing all of those which is very costly
Well got the car a year ago no spare whatsoever so thay cant be good more $$$
Yeah its going to be expensive no two ways about it
Anything else I can try,there's gotta be something how do I reset the key fob I have.
There is no fob reset. I understand this is not want you want to hear . I been with benz for 16 years. If there were another option i would have surely provided it. The anti theft system is one of the very few systems that you cannot over ride or bypass or cut corners on diagnosis. Its just not possible
The night before I was pressing the maintenance buttons and roadside buttons on the overhead to see what they did then the next morning it started.
I dont know what else i can tell you. None of that matters. We can keep going round and round. I laid it out for you. You just dont want to accept it lol.
I ordered a new key at Mercedes today it'll be ready in 2 days if indeed you are right sir we shall see .talk Friday. Now they are sending me a remoteless key but it still has the chip in it that should be fine right.
the keys are ready to work if ordered correctly via vin. The only thing that would prevent it would be if someone blocked the key track. 8 key tracks are available for use , if say a key was lost or stolen a dealer can block a key. So that would be the only hiccup IF the problem persists. Its super rare but can still be a factor. Also if the key does not start the car then it wasnt the issue and can still be the aam or transponder coil.
Holding this open until Friday because after all I pay for this service and I would be glad to rate your professionalism. Thank You
The question does not close you can return here at any time
Also just so you know I am not paid until I am rated so I have not been paid for any of our correspondence
Well if I rate you can we still talk
Absolutely. There is no time limit and i never leave a customer without some type of resolve .
Ok well I got the key and had the battery unplugged to reset everything for a couple hours then tried it and the same problem is still present it starts then shuts off..UGH
Ok now you need a mercedes scanner .
Ordered one itll be here Friday its a Autel Md802 maxidiag' what do you think.
That is not a mercedes scanner.
I guess we will see.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Well I got the scanner and read the codes.Would you like to know what they are.
Mercedes Mechanic: Lou P. master tech, Mercedes Technician replied 1 month ago
Absolutely. Also need to know what scanner you got/used
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Autel md802 maxidiag .https://youtu.be/ikg49Vh8mAY

Ok good video BUT i wish you didnt jump in and start erasing codes .

Go back to the ME-SFI engine module and check the dtc’s. It was extremely informative to see the code in the esp module saying the correct engine module was not installed. At any time was the engine module messed with ?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I didn't know that I was just following the manual now in that video those codes can't be erased.ok stand by are you referring to the ecm or ecu.

Ok so ecm and ecu mean the same thing electronic control module or electronic control unit . Our modules have specific names

Like i said go back to the ME-SFI module and read the dtc

Well the manual was telling you how to erase codes lol not that is was demanding you were :)
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
The Me-sfi says the fuel tank pressure switch, but when the car starts and then dies it throws other codes you want them all
sir
It might be easier to take a picture and upload it
Items that affect start error are codes in me-sfi and tcm and aam and esm
Are you gonna be doing the rest of this tonight? Asking so i know if i should watch for your replies .
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Codes are as follows c1 038,c1 035,c1 140,c1 174,p1 925,p2004-4,p2032-8,p201c-1,p202 e-8.
Ok and those were all in the me-sfi module correct? The ones that start with P, the ones that start with C should be in the esp correct?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
correct..What are your thoughts? I've replaced so much already which I guess was stupid before I got the scanner.Im thinking the Maf and the vacuum door actuator rods which weren't broken when I checked.I just don't understand how one day it's totally fine then the next it broken.
I am commuting home and will hook up the scanner and follow the codes see what is going on. This is a module or anti theft issue. Or could even be a power issue . No worried do not replace anything else . Ill get this figured out. Lou
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank You Sir.

ok the only thing I do not show in my system yet is te p1925, what is the description in the scanner in the dtc for the me-sfi module. ?

also do you have a meter ? a voltmeter ?

p1 925,
p2004-4, mass air flow
p2032-8, throttle valve
p201c-1 fuel tank pressure sensor
p202 e-8 throttle body
c1 038,engine control module not identified
c1 035,steering angle sensor
c1 140,brake pressure sensor
c1 174 steering angle sensor

this info may be what you already see,

but what I am interested is the voltage of the car when its running.

also at any time was the engine control unit removed?

how did this all start?

is the fuse box cover loose or off?

is there any water in the fuse box or signs of wetness or water stains?

comparing the video you sent and our chat i want to apologize, i feel i sounded a little harsh and that was not my intention.

I just wanted to say that.

after seeing the video i do not think this is an antitheft issue at present.

not directly however.

the fact that the esp module throws a code for the engine module not identified that bothers me.

but sine it starts i can assume it is ok FOR NOW>

what i am concerned with is the mass air flow and throttle body codes.

the wiring is within inches of each other, i wonder is a mouse chewed them

so what i would like to do is check the values in the scan tool.

see what we have.

i can walk you through it.

it does not have to be tonight, i just didnt want you to think i forgot about you.

i have been going through the scanner and diagrams trying to wrap my head around what is happening.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I have replaced the throttle position sensor,throttle body,high pressure brake switch...And I have checked in and all around the fuse boxes for any significant corrosion or dampness The ecu was unplugged at that time.battery is new .I have checked all around the wires and plugs but have not removed all the protective casing.How do I check the values is that the live data setting.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
P1 925 says the braking tongue value sent from the traction system via the CAN bus is implausible.

ok thanks, ***** ***** what i want to do is check the live data.

we need to first check the throttle body values with the engine off and the pedal NOT pressed.

i would like to see the numbers.

so there are 6 wires on the throttle body,

power

ground

signal

signal

signal return

signal return

there are 2 sensors inside the housing and they work opposite , they do this to make sure the readings of the throttle body is operation correctly.

and then there is a power and ground to work the motor that actually opens and closes the throttle.

so one voltage will start at 5volts and go down as the throttle is opened and the other voltage will start near 0 and then go up to 5 when the throttle is opened.

i want to verify that they do and that they do it smoothly.

any huge jumps in either value is bad.

i dont care that its new.

i am concerned that maybe the wiring might be damaged or the engine module is causing all of these issues.

as for the mass air flow the voltage with the key on and engine off should be 1.030 i believe

what we can do is run the engine with the mass air flow disconnected see if it helps also check the battery charging voltage when the engine is running.

i dont want to do all of these things at once, so dont get carried away i want to start with the voltage.

then the throttle values

then the mass air flow.

see if we see something.

the youtube video was great, either we exchange numbers so you can send me them direct or email.

there is an extra charge but it can save us both time since we seem to miss each other with free time.

also, how full is the fuel?

was the fuel filled right before this happened?

im looking for the common denominator.

something happened that caused all of this.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok I replaced the water pump and spark plugs then went on a*****trip when I got back it was late gas tank was on E ,the next morning I fueled up and stayed home the following morning went out started the truck made it down the road and that was it, it died in the middle of the road.can I test both in place or out of place but plugged in.

oh man, ok that is good intel!

usually we have fuel codes for the air to fuel ratio but if your car did not have time to run that long, my man we might have a fuel issue.

we just might.

dont matter in or out as long as its plugged in.

if you have a glass jar i would like you to take a fuel sample.

I will have to sign off for the night here in a few min.

Lou

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Now when I changed the fuel pump and filter after it died I cleaned out the tank.We can talk on the phone when we are both available..

oh ok,

lol,

how dare you get me all excited.

haha

ok, i wil send over the offer in the morning.

I will set the lowest fee, you are in deep enough already with this car, i dont want to beat you up too bad.

have a good night.

Lou

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
No worries Thank You.

Hello, have you had a chance to check the values of the throttle plate or the battery voltage with the car running?

Lou

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I ran the live data but just got in.let me attach the video.

ok,

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
How hard would it be to clone another ecu I bought one tested and used, the battery reads 14.6 running 12.3 off

hard, cant clone an ecu, the only thing that can be done is if the eeprom is removed from the old and replaced into the new.

eh, lets reserve that for later.

i dont want to even think of that as an option and throw that into the mix not at the moment.

ok, so , you are uploading to me vw diagnostics lol.

are you sure you are grabbing the right files?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I just figured that it talks about a bit of crucial information that you mentioned but states that if the throttle body has been replaced and still throws a code then the values in the ecu are corrupt.What do you think.??

my man that is for a volkswagen

i mean its possible the ecm is the issue, but not common.

look i want to help but i need you to stay on point with our game plan, you can do what you want but i cannot spend all of my time discussing what it can be.

i am an excellent diagnosis tech.

but i need you to work with me.

i am not saying i can fix this for you but i can get you one step if not multiple steps closer if we focus

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok what next

what next?

did you check the values of the throttle body?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Attaching the live data

ok , more so need you to confirm any values for the 2 sensors inside the throttle body to make sure they do an even sweep open and closed.

and they stay consistent,

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
How exactly

find the live data for the throttle body and send me a screenshot.

so i can advise.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
https://youtu.be/3JC_AYjzvEU..
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Note the high rpm otherwise it would try to idle down and die
Lou P. master tech
Lou P. master tech
Lou P. master tech, Mercedes Technician