Mercedes

Have Mercedes questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Went out to unlock my 1999 cl500 and the key won't turn in…

Customer Question
Went out to unlock...

Went out to unlock my 1999 cl500 and the key won't turn in drivers side door.the remote opens the trunk but not the passenger door

Mechanic's Assistant: Can you turn the steering wheel at all? And what about the key? Is it worn or damaged?

Can't enter the car key is fine otherwise

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your CL500 yourself? What have you tried so far?

No just drove it last night

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Mercedes
Answered in 1 minute by:
12/10/2017
Mercedes Mechanic: Lou P. master tech, Mercedes Technician replied 5 months ago
Lou P. master tech
Lou P. master tech, Mercedes Technician
Hello my name is***** am going over your request now and will reply back soon with some info OR a few questions that would help me better determine how to help you. Keep in mind I have no idea of your technical ability or what you do and do not already know. So the more info you can tell me the better. I have been on the site for almost ten years and have oustanding 5 star ratings so trust that I will do everything I can to get you taken care of, Lou
When you press the fob to lock and unlock does the car respond at all? Its possible the pse lock module has failed or the battert is weak in the car. Have you tried to jump the car?
No battery is fine.ican,t open the driver side door
Trunk opens with mercedes key remote
Hello
Messages loading slow im here
Ok car starts and runs?
No not really
Ok, can you explain?
Lou have you read my transmittle.couldnt get in to the car so i cant tell you if the key works i asume it will work
Sir i asked if the car starts and runs and you replied not really, i need to know if the car starts and runs to know which way to go from here. Everything i ask ks for a reason.
Lou i can,t get into the car.i drove it last nite came out 1 hr ago and the door wont open
Ok. Have you tried to use wd40 on the key and work the key in and out of the cylinder ?
Usually the problem is the key does not go deep enough to release all the cylinder key slides.
No i have,nt tried wd40 the key seem to go in and out ok ill try the wd40.but it seems not to turn between you and me it dosn,t feel not lubricated goes in all the way.lou im a mechanical eng also and i havent tried working on this car
Once you can get the blade to go all the way in you can then wiggle left and right to loosen it up. Problem with key fobs is that we never tend to use the actual key
Ok gotcha, im gonna check the wiring diagram, there is a fuse in the trunk for central locking we can pull the fuse for a minute and reinsert it and see if the locks now work with the fob. Since the trunk pops it gives me hope this will work
Lou this is a 1999 cl500 you have to use the blade kek
Fuse is number 11 and 3 in the trunk. And no the fob button should lock and unlock the door and if you hold it down for 2 seconds or more it will pop the trunk.
Which tells me you have had an issue for a long time
if you are taking advice from a expert that you need to tell how the car works, buddy hes no expert lol, trust me we are on the same page. What i know and what you have experienced may be on different pages. I would not have taken your question if i did not feel confident i could not help.
From memory you should have a big square fob with a single button and a red lens at the top of it .
Not my remote i have a red button then two unlock buttons then a large single lock botton then the key release button
Ok what is your vin
Wdbga70g6xa412007
Did u get the vin
it came across thanks
Ok we are back on the same page. So try those fuses i told
You about
Did no help and yes by the key swivel theres a red lens still cant enter the car like i said only one key hole on drivers door and no problem with trunk remote
Ok looks like wd 40 is the best bet or try jumping the battery.
See if that helps with the key fob to unlock the car. I will have to opt out at this point i dont feel like we are on the same page and some one else needs to take a fresh look.
Mercedes Mechanic: Marty, Mercedes Technician replied 5 months ago
Marty
Marty, Mercedes Technician

Hi, different expert here. My name is***** the past, have you been able to lock and unlock the doors using the central locking switch in the car?

Have never tried it,however the remote doesn,t release the passenger lock it stops short from unlocking

Have you tried turning the key in the trunk lock to unlock the doors?

Mo didnt know about that item since i bought this i,ve tried to get the 1999 owners manual and i can,t get the right one they send me 2000 or 2001 even on line if you let me know the tirn sequence i,ll try p.s.im right in themiddle of moving have to be out bu tuesday go figure

Ok, give it a try and let me know if you have any luck. Also, if it is freezing cold where you are you may have some luck by heating the key before you insert it into the lock.

In ca cold but not that any way to turn the key

Ok, let me know how you make out.

That didnt work
Question why wont the key turn in the door

If the key turns in the trunk lock but not in the door lock cylinder it would indicate a fault with the door lock cylinder itself. You can purchase graphite spray for door locks at the parts store. Spray a liberal amount of spray into the cylinder then work the key in and out and try to turn the key. The graphite spray is messy but it often works for lock cylinders.

Let me know how you make out.

Hi, just checking in. Did you get the door open?

Marty
Marty
Marty, Mercedes Technician