Mercedes

Have Mercedes questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Mercedes 190 D Front brake calipers keep locking up Brakes…

Customer Question
Mercedes 190 D Front brake...
Mercedes 190 D Front brake calipers keep locking up Brakes drag with no pressure on pedal.
Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Mercedes
12/6/2017
Mercedes Mechanic: Petrol_Pete, ASE Certified Technician replied 7 months ago
Petrol_Pete
Petrol_Pete, ASE Certified Technician

Hi, I am Mike, welcome. I'm reviewing your question. Can you tell me the year, make, model, engine.

Most of the time this is caused by the inside of the brake hoses deteriorated and clogging up. When the happens fluid doesn't return to the master cylinder and causes the calipers to hand up or stay on. Replace both front brake hoses, bleed and you should be fine.

Did that answer your question? If so, kindly leave me a positive rating, so I get credit. After all, you have already made the deposit.
If you don't, the deposit you made will just sit there and I won't get my share of it.

If you read my statement about what I have replaced you would see that I have replaced the rubber hoses. The calipers and the master cylinder. your recommendation does not address the problem as everything has been replaced from the Master Cylinder
to caliper. on both front brakes. I can't pay you when you do not read the information I provided.

Where did you say that?

The only thing you said was, "Mercedes 190 D Front brake calipers keep locking up Brakes drag with no pressure on pedal. "

Mercedes Mechanic: Wolfgang, Mercedes Technician replied 7 months ago
Wolfgang
Wolfgang, Mercedes Technician

Thanks for choosing Just Answer . I'm Wolfgang here to help!!

I am confident we can resolve your problem together. Please
understand that I don't know your skill level. In most cases when you have a problem
with the way the vehicle performs, specialized tooling is required to acquire computer
data/information or engine testing results. We didn’t build these complicated vehicles; we
just diagnose and fix them. Also understand that I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the
vehicle either, so it may take a few replies to get to satisfactory results. Note there may be an issue where the complexity of the issue will require a Premium Service. This service will be an addition to the normal question cost. Usually it does not come down to this but keep in mind!! I am also going to direct you with the fastest, easiest and most common things to check first. Please be
patient and permit me to do what I do best.
I also try to give all of the information you may need, expecting a “positive rating” in
return. I will also continue assisting you after you have rated me, if necessary. If there
is any reason I cannot get a positive rating, please let me know why “in advance”, so I
can go another direction for you. I am sorry you’re having this problem; I’ll help you
through it.
Below is my first answer or request for more information. If you do not understand it, or you need more information from me, or need me to go in more detail.

if you unbolt the master cylinder from the booster is the front brake calipers still dragging?

please do let me know!!

thanks

My Mercedes mechanic was not able to give me an answer why this is happening. When I could not find the cause myself. he said we will have to replace the rotors because they are to thin they have been turned down He replaced the calipers and the hoses. I had replaced the master cylinder two weeks ago. I listed all the items that had been replaced in my original request.
I do not know how I could refer back to my first request because I did not copy and save it.

i want to help but i did ask a question !!

I did ask if you take the bolts off of the master cylinder and separate the booster to master cylinder does the wheels drag still?

No, your concept of removing the master cylinder from brake booster dd not solve the problem. Brakes were not dragging
this morning. When I came home they were dragging again. the front rims were so hot I could not touch them. they were dragging so much I could not go over 40 MPH. I have an appointment with my mechanic to look at them

so that would be the time to unbolt the master cylinder because its acting up at that point. not when it was not dragging you take the master cylinder off.

i'm trying to isolate if its a master cylinder issue or not . if not then there is another test to do afterwards.

My mechanic checked the master cylinder when he replaced all the other items on the front brakes.
there is no problem with the rear brakes. he blew the front brake lines from the master cylinder to the calipers out with air to see if there was any blockages. they were clear. Then he pressure bled it from the master cylinder.

but the test is this if the master cylinder is holding pressure when mounted then if you unmount the master cylinder but leave the lines in place and then the drag is gone then you may have a push rod adjustment issue or a bad master cylinder . hence that is why i have asked that question . trying to narrow down the issue !! Makes better and logical sense?

It seems you and your people are not reading my responses correctly. This problem is an on and off situation. sometimes it happens when the car is being driven then is inactive for a few hours and I start up the brakes are not binding. half an hour latter they are locking up again. I am taking the car to my mechanic today to see what his diagnosis is. we have replaced every part we can replace.

I do know and understand BUT it does not mean that you have a defective part that is why i have asked after driving and having the brakes locked up then unbolt the master to see if the wheels still binding. need to do the test while acting up !! not when its not binding.

booster was not replaced correct?