Mercedes

Have Mercedes questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

2003 ML320 makes a chirping noise when the temperature is…

Customer Question
2003 ML320 makes a...

2003 ML320 makes a chirping noise when the temperature is below 40-45. Only makes the noise when moving and I let off the gas. Geos away after about 15 Minutes. Coming from the front, but can't tell exactly because I have to be moving.

Mechanic's Assistant: Has the vehicle turned into a gas hog? And how does it start -- same as usual?

Just had the CPS replaced, but other than that is runs pretty well.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your ML320 yourself? What have you tried so far?

Been taking it to a local repair shop. I am thinking it is the air injection pump. Can I disconnect that and still drive it just to see if the problem goes away?

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Mercedes
12/5/2017
Mercedes Mechanic: Lou P. master tech, Mercedes Technician replied 7 months ago
Lou P. master tech
Lou P. master tech, Mercedes Technician

Hello, my name is***** and i will do my best to assist you.I am going over your story now and will reply back soon with some info,thanks!

the most common item to make a noise such as this with the car moving is the front driveshaft u joints,

you most likely have to replace the front drive shaft.

best bet is to put the car on a lift or jack up all corners and spin the wheels together to see if you can get it to make the noise.

but only parts that rotate are brakes, wheel bearings, front diff and driveshaft.

hope this helps.

Lou

Please take a second and click the stars at the top of the screen to rate my service so I may be paid for my assistance.5 stars is ideal :) . Please save me as a favorite and request me in the future.Keep in mind that when you rate it does not end our conversation, all it does is pay me for my help. You can still return here to me for follow up information if needed just simply reply back, thanks!
Lou P.
Master Mercedes-Benz Technician
Master ASE Certified

Can I disonnnect the air injection pump?

um,. you can unplug it, the air injection pump is top dead center of the front of the motor and usually sounds like a vacuum cleaner when running.

it is not dependent on wheel speed though so if the noise you hear only happens when the car is moving it will not be that.

It only happens in the winter. Started last December. Drove 20K miles from March to November with no noise. Noise started again in the mornings when it got below 40-45. Goes away after about 15 minutes, and don't hear it again.
But noise is only present when the vehicle is moving correct?