Mercedes

Have Mercedes questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Wires under back seat were wet during hurricane. side yellow…

Customer Question
Wires under back seat...

Wires under back seat were wet during hurricane. side yellow light, small front light, and back red lights will not cut off; also the auto locks do not work and there is an oily smell inside. everything else work. could a fuse or module work?

Mechanic's Assistant: Just to clarify, what are the exact lights you're talking about?

I do not know the names. model E320, 1997, 85,000 miles. the manual does not help.the yellow lights are on the outside near the front; the small front light is connected to the head lights (when motor is off they should cut off automatically; the brake lights work but the back lights do not cut off. all lights that I am talking about are on the outside of the car. the automatic locks switch (inside car) has a red lighted dot on it.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your E320 yourself? What have you tried so far?

I am not fixing it. i want to know which parts might work?

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Mercedes
12/4/2017
Mercedes Mechanic: Marty, Mercedes Technician replied 8 months ago
Marty
Marty, Mercedes Technician

Hi, my name is***** the passenger side rear seat near the battery is the vacuum pump for the central locks and alarm system. If this pump gets wet it will cause these problems. I would disconnect the pump and all of your lights should then turn off. Replacing the pump will get the central locks and the alarm system working again. All fuses in the front and rear fuse box will need to be checked after the pump is replaced. This part is commonly referred to as the PSE module.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Marty