Mercedes

Have Mercedes questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Dashboard shows "esc inoperative." car will not turn on.

Customer Question
Dashboard shows "esc inoperative."...

Dashboard shows "esc inoperative." car will not turn on. what does this mean and how can it be fixed?

Mechanic's Assistant: How long has this been going on?

One week

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Mercedes?

2010 300 E

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your 300 yourself? What have you tried so far?

Took it to my mechanic (towed it); he said it was related to the computer systems and that under federal law this part was under warranty. Was planning to have it towed to the MB dealership to have it fixed.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Mercedes
12/3/2017
Mercedes Mechanic: Pete, Mercedes Mechanic replied 7 months ago
Pete, Mercedes Mechanic

Hi, my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases, I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

The first thing that needs to be done is to have the fault codes read out/checked with a compatible computer that will plug into your model and can read all computers in your vehicle to see what codes are set.Once this is done any codes set then need to be diagnosed to then locate and repair this issue.

This is usually electronic stability control inoperative due to a component at fault.Something like a throttle sensor can cause this fault.But there are several components that can cause this issue here.Depending on what the mechanic found to be at fault it may be covered under an extended or lifetime warranty from a dealer.You would have to allow the dealer to read out the codes to identify the fault and they can check your vehicles VIN to see if it is covered under a warranty extension or recall.This all depends on what the mechanic found to be at fault if it is covered.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service, your 5-star rating is appreciated ( should be a link to click on here or above).You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete