Mercedes

Have Mercedes questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Have a 2004 SL500 with 42000. sat for 6 months and when I…

Customer Question
Have a 2004 SL500...

Have a 2004 SL500 with 42000. sat for 6 months and when I jumped it some oil got on the side and was smoking. I had it looked at and he said the engine mount is blown out. Said all lifters need replacing if not it will seize causing major damage and the left front abc strut is leaking. I'm selling the car. Can tthe lifters be individually fixed. Can they be bad with 42000 mile.

Mechanic's Assistant: When it comes to this particular vehicle, have flat tires been a problem in the past?

No !!! When I jumped it the car body was setting so close to the tire but not on the tire.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your SL500 yourself? What have you tried so far?

It's my husbands car and he died a year ago. He has a friend that's helping me out. I took it to the dealer and they want $5400.00 I had to tow it in. I'm in the process of gathering information and I'm trying to get a second opion. Pretty low maintance so far.

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Mercedes
12/3/2017
Mercedes Mechanic: Gunvir Singh,
 replied 6 months ago
Gunvir Singh

Hello, let me review your request. Please stand by.

Mercedes Mechanic: Gunvir Singh,
 replied 6 months ago

Did the dealer tell you the reason for replacing all lifters?

Had a clicking and he said that the oil has set in the pan and it was the hydraulic lifters getting oil to the engine. That's it but my friend is calling him Tuesday. Is there specifics that he should ask.
Mercedes Mechanic: Gunvir Singh,
 replied 6 months ago

Yes, need to make sure that the engine oil is clean and on level. If good then next step is to check the oil pressure. It is too early for the lifters to go bad. If all that is good, performing an oil change and using a oil stabilizing treatment will be first step.

His message reads as follows: on your car first both batteries fail load test needs both battries. loud ticking noise coming from hydraulic lifters loosing oil pressure. if lifters are not replaced will size causing major damage Your car has 2 oil leaks. engine mount completely blown out. second oil leak from left front abc strut. Note the smoking is coming from the lifters.
OK thank you.
Mercedes Mechanic: Gunvir Singh,
 replied 6 months ago

Do you know if this lifter issue was present before it was parked for 6 months?

Mercedes Mechanic: Gunvir Singh,
 replied 6 months ago

Are you still there?

No it was not here. But I do have a new click. Slight not like a knock.
Mercedes Mechanic: Gunvir Singh,
 replied 6 months ago

I will recommend getting a second opinion as lifters dint usually go bad just like that at this low miles. It could have just low on lubrication as it has been sitting for 6 months.

Mercedes Mechanic: Gunvir Singh,
 replied 6 months ago

Do you have any other questions?

Mercedes Mechanic: Gunvir Singh,
 replied 6 months ago

Let me know if you have any more questions and good luck with your vehicle, And please don’t forget to rate my performance in the upper left corner otherwise i don’t get compensated. Thank you and have a blessed day.

Mercedes Mechanic: Gunvir Singh,
 replied 6 months ago

Please read this:

Understand it's not one answer and done. We can communicate back and forth many times.

1. I am an independent auto mechanic and do not work at or for Just Answer.

2. When you're pleased or happy with my assistance or efforts to help you, at the top of the screen please rate me .

3. I only get credit for my work from your question value deposit when you rate me on this screen. Rating does not close the post and you're more than welcome to follow up.

Thanks for using Just Answer

Mercedes Mechanic: Mike, Auto Mechanic replied 6 months ago
Mike, Auto Mechanic

Hello, my name is***** will be helping you out! I have over thirteen years of experience in the automotive industry for numerous different makes & models. I enjoy doing what I do, it is my life.

Let me know if you need any more assistance :).