Mercedes

Have Mercedes questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

2000 e430 has been in limp mode codes pulled are p0500,

Customer Question
p0720, p1747. Very small amount...
2000 e430 has been in limp mode codes pulled are p0500, p0720, p1747. Very small amount of water splashed near shifter before this started and I’m hoping there is an inexpensive fix
Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Mercedes
12/2/2017
Mercedes Mechanic: Pete, Mechanic replied 4 months ago
Pete, Mechanic

The shifter assemblys on these cars give a lot of problems. When these codes appear it is usually the shifter at fault. Did you try clearing the codes? What type of scanner is being used? When the shifter is moved does the indicator in the cluster show the same info? If not this is a sign that the shifter assy is the problem I just replaced one in a c 240 last week, it has the same type of shifter, and the shifter cost 750.00 plus labor. Total bill was 1100.00.

Hi Peter, I did not try clearing the codes Because I know how sensitive these cars can be and was seeking some help prior to doing so. The code reader seemed quite simple I will get you the model shortly. The instrument cluster have not worked properly since battery was replaced 6 months ago. It seems to show strange combinations of the numerical lights but not always consistent

The clusters are another problem with these cars. I don't like giving you all this bad news. You can clear the codes without causing any problems if it has the proper MB software. Some of the aftermarket ones wont clear transmission codes. The shifter and cluster work together with the transmission control module. Are the strange light combinations the trans PRD or are they something else? If the PRD lights are not showing properly the problem is in the shifter.

thank you

Pete, Mechanic