Mercedes

Have Mercedes questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Key will not turn. Car battery and key battery tested and…

Key will not turn...

Key will not turn. Car battery and key battery tested and good.

Mechanic's Assistant: Can you turn the steering wheel at all? And what about the key? Is it worn or damaged?

Steering wheel gives but as the car is parked and off there is little room for movement

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Mercedes?

2006 r500

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your R500 yourself? What have you tried so far?

Was hoping to or at least not get taken when it goes in. Summary. It was starting to have problems and I will need to play with it to give. It finally just won’t turn at all

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Not that I can think og

11/26/2017
Marty
Marty, Mercedes Technician

Hi, my name is***** possibilities for this problem are either a bad key, bad ignition switch or low battery voltage. If you have a spare key you should try that first. If you only have one key and the car battery is fully charged you will need to get the car to the Mercedes dealer to have them order and try a new key and to replace the ignition switch if needed.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Ideas on cost for new ignition switch and have you seen this before. I couldn’t find many references to this as an issue with this model

A bad key is a little more common than a bad ignition switch but I have seen both issues in the past. A key is about $300. An ignition switch is about $650.

The $650 includes the labor to install the switch. The dealer may charge additional for diagnosis and programming.

Thanks. Just cause I’m a worse case scenario person. What is the worst possible case it may be. How costly can it be and final (I hope). Since the car won’t turn on any concerns I need to have about hownit gets towed?

Sorry for the wait. Worse case I would say $800 - $900.

There are definitely concerns regarding the tow. The wrecker will need to use dollies to roll the car onto the flatbed since you cannot get it out of park. Make sure you request that when you call for the tow. Have them try connecting their jumper box to the jump start terminal and then see if your key will turn just in case the battery is weak.

Marty
Marty, Mercedes Technician