Mercedes

Have Mercedes questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

My wife's 2014 ML350 makes a loud grinding noise only when…

Customer Question
Hi, my wife's 2014 ML350...
Hi, my wife's 2014 ML350 makes a loud grinding noise only when emergency breaking or stopping really hard from high speed. I replaced pads about 5000 miles ago. Amy thoughts on what could be going on, or is this normal. It's only when breaking really hard.
Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Mercedes
11/26/2017
Mercedes Mechanic: Wolfgang, Mercedes Technician replied 7 months ago
Wolfgang
Wolfgang, Mercedes Technician

Thanks for choosing Just Answer . I'm Wolfgang here to help!!

I am confident we can resolve your problem together. Please
understand that I don't know your skill level. In most cases when you have a problem
with the way the vehicle performs, specialized tooling is required to acquire computer
data/information or engine testing results. We didn’t build these complicated vehicles; we
just diagnose and fix them. Also understand that I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the
vehicle either, so it may take a few replies to get to satisfactory results. Note there may be an issue where the complexity of the issue will require a Premium Service. This service will be an addition to the normal question cost. Usually it does not come down to this but keep in mind!! I am also going to direct you with the fastest, easiest and most common things to check first. Please be
patient and permit me to do what I do best.
I also try to give all of the information you may need, expecting a “positive rating” in
return. I will also continue assisting you after you have rated me, if necessary. If there
is any reason I cannot get a positive rating, please let me know why “in advance”, so I
can go another direction for you. I am sorry you’re having this problem; I’ll help you
through it.
Below is my first answer or request for more information. If you do not understand it, or you need more information from me, or need me to go in more detail.

when you replaced the pads were the rotors replaced at the same time? fronts were only replaced? rears? both?

thanks

Both, rotors were fine, car only has 30,000 miles
Replaced front and rear pads and sensors
Are you there?

the issue is that the rotors were worn in the old pads so when you replace the pads only and not the rotors the pads do not break in correctly and you will get squeals or grinds depending on the stop you are doing (hard, soft , intermediate)

MB recommends replace the pads and rotors at the same time to eliminate these noises and weird braking undulations!!

MB also do not allow machining the rotors due to the metal thickness and possible cross drilling . less metal thickness can warp hence a pedal pulsation and vibration under braking which you may have .

example cookie sheet in an oven and heated and then you cool the sheet off with water what happens to the sheet it bends . same as the brake rotors .

to eliminate replace the rotors with new ones . sand the pads on a level sanding block and then reassemble then break in the pads 1000 miles (no heavy braking)

anything else?

if not.....

I try to be online 365 days a year.

I only earn a paycheck when a customer rates me Ok, Good, Excellent.

This rating is VERY IMPORTANT! Your rating compensates me on my time and my expertise on your issue!

A lot of the repair information and fixes are hard to come by!!

I HAVE DONE MY PART IN HELPING YOU AND I DO EXPECT THE SAME WITH A 5 STAR RATING!!!

So please rate me above!!!! Bonuses are also greatly appreciated!!!

If I have not addressed your original question to your liking yet, I hope you will reply and continue working with me, since your charged the full question value, regardless if you rate negative or not at all. If you rate me now, do not worry, you can still reply later to me.

Thanks

Wolfgang

If I'm gping to sell the car in the spring is it worth it or necessary to do the rotors? Am I damaging the car or risking it not stopping? It's only when breaking abnormally hard.

honestly no damage just a noise that can bother your ears but should be ok but if the steering wheel vibrates under braking would advise to replace the rotors. it will get worse!!

Hello again. I’m checking in and did not see that you have rated my service to you as a positive one. This is how I get credit in helping you.
Thanks for your timeWolfgang