Mercedes

Have Mercedes questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Is there 2 different voltage ratings on 2011 sprinter glow…

Customer Question
Is there 2 different...

Is there 2 different voltage ratings on 2011 sprinter glow plugs

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Sprinter yourself? What have you tried so far?

Tested voltage to glow plug starts at battery voltage for 2 seconds as supposed to then drops to 2.36 volts or less. is this enough for the glow plugs to function properly?

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked all the fuses? Do you have a wiring diagram?

I do have a factory diagram & the main wire to supply battery voltage seems to be ok. I load tested the wire with a high beam head lamp to check for voltage drop. seems to be ok

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

The previous owner had changed the glow plugs & controller. there is 7 volt controller & plugs in it now but there is also 4.4 volt plugs & controller in the cab. I have checked voltage with both controllers & the drom is from battery voltage to 4.3 on the 7 volt & 2.36 on the 4.4 volt. is this correct? engine is slow to start

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Mercedes
11/26/2017
Mercedes Mechanic: Robert R, ASE Certified Technician replied 5 months ago
Robert R
Robert R, ASE Certified Technician

Hello, welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is*****'m a Certified Auto Technician with 30+ years experience. I will do my best to assist you. please keep in mind that I may need to ask questions of you before I can answer. When you reply please feel free to add as much detailed information as possible pertaining to your concern.

Before we continue, I need to know if the check engine light is on? Also, I need to know if the Glow Plug light comes on and stays on for more than 15 seconds when you initially turn on the key?

When you say "Slow to start" do you mean it cranks slow or do you mean that there is a long crank time before it starts? How many seconds before it starts? How many miles are on the vehicle?

Keep me posted...

Thank you,

Robert

the check lite is not on at this time. buth the engine cranks over at a good clip but its as though the plugs are not getting hot enough as the start is delayed

Then most likely there is nothing wrong with the glow plugs. The extended cranking time may be caused by worn out fuel injectors.

How many miles are on the vehicle?

there are only 70000 miles on this vehicle. I checked fuel rail pressure & koeo is 137 lbs but goes to 4000 + as soon as you start to crank engine over
Mercedes Mechanic: Robert R, ASE Certified Technician replied 4 months ago

When you are cranking, how long does it stay at 4000+ before it starts? Estimate how many seconds.

Hi sorry to be so long. truck was out on job & returned last nite, this morning after sitting all nite outside glow plug lite stays on for about the count of 3 only. engine cranks & fuel pressure comes from 137 with koeo to 3500-4000 in the count of 2-3

That all seems normal. The glow plug light should normally not stay on for more than about 3 to 5 seconds.

When you crank the engine and it reaches 4000 psi, how long afterwards does it take it to start?

after glow plug lite goes out & you start to crank it takes till the count of 7+

That may actually be normal for this vehicle. Most Sprinters that I work on normally take 5 to 7 seconds before they start. As long as it is cranking and starting up on the first try I would have to say that this is considered normal...

Keep me posted...

Thank you,

Robert

Robert R
Robert R
Robert R, ASE Certified Technician